Landlord with 40+ keys-need good key lock box please

Old 12-08-16, 04:37 PM
Landlord with 40+ keys-need good key lock box please

I am a handy man for my boss with multiple rental units. We have a central area (utility room) in one location where unfortunately there are electrical breaker panels where we need to keep "unlocked" so tenants can reset tripped breakers.

Our issue is that this room is easily accessible and we have had an issue already where our existing "key lock box" has been vandalized. We keep the keys for our "paid" washers and dryers in there. Someone tried to gain access to the key lock box to break into the washer and dryer coin trays for the quarters.

Anyone have a good idea of a solid "key" lock box that can handle about 40 plus keys?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-16, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Key boxes aren't designed like Ft. Knox. It may be time for a safe with a keybox in it.

Old 12-08-16, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
My first thought is to store the keys somewhere not accessible to the public - all of ours stay in the office behind the counter unless we need them for some reason.

Old 12-09-16, 06:06 AM
Not able to store the keys anywhere else except for utility room. No other area. But we did find a key lock box that has great reviews and seems very sturdy.

Gobal Industries Item #T9F270299. Holds 48 keys, electronic locking with key backup and there are bolts that slide into the case from the door, not just a hook. We are going to try this one out.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Old 12-09-16, 11:24 AM
I'm not familiar with this product, but personally, I wouldn't put much faith in its ability to resist physical attack. While the door may be somewhat substantial, the body appears rather inaubstantial.

Bear this in mind about me: While some say that locks are for honest people, I believe there are locks for dishonest people; we just don't want to pay for them.

Old 12-09-16, 05:58 PM
Even the best key cabinets that I've seen are easier to pry open than inexpensive fire safes for sale in big box stores. In order to get good physical security, some of these high-end key cabinets are controlled by electronic credentials, Bluetooth/WIFI enabled blah, blah...and are very expensive.

The most cost effective solution might be to get an actual small multi-purpose safe, bolt it to the wall or floor, and devise a slotted tray or similar to organize the keys within.

Also, do you suspect tenants or outsiders of the wrongdoing? If outsiders, you could equip the entry door with a closer and storeroom function lock and either issue a key to the tenants or "maison key" the lock, such that each tenent's key will operate the lock, so as not to carry a separate key.

Old 12-09-16, 06:03 PM
Another possibility, if your machines are all or mostly the same brand with the same type coin box locks, is to have them all keyed the same, to the extent that is possible. With few keys to mess with, you might not need a storage box, simply carry them with you.

Old 03-08-17, 03:35 PM
LOOK AT KEKAB PRODUCTS. Heavy duty but kinda expensive. Might be just what you want!
For more info, PM me.
GL

Old 03-08-17, 04:04 PM
LOOK AT KEKAB PRODUCTS. Heavy duty but kinda expensive. Might be just what you want!
For more info, PM me.
GL
Thanks but in my post #4 I said I was going with Gobal Industries Item #T9F270299 which turned out great for us. But thank you anyway for your suggestion. Appreciated.