Standard house lock set on gate?

Old 12-18-16, 01:16 PM
Standard house lock set on gate?

Hi,

I'm making a wooden gate which will be constructed in similar fashion as a exterior door with a mortised frame made from 2"x6" redwood. Thus I hope to be able to maintain the frame thickness at 1.5". I believe exterior locksets work on both 1.5" and 1.75" thickness?

I also have to replace one of the 4x4 posts so I should be able to make the opening near perfectly square.My main concern is exposure to the weather, I assume a lockset would not last as long as one protected from the weather especially from the interior side.

The other concern is achieving and maintaining the correct jamb clearance such that the strike and deadbolt work and continue to work. Of course there is no header so assuming that 4x4 posts will stay parallel to 1/16" or so may be foolish. I have some posts that are dry and posts are cemented in, the hinge side is doubled 4x4's and gate is only 3' wide.

There is a key lock made for gates but as I recall when I looked at it a while back it had very bad reviews.

Otherwise the standard gate thumb latch is OK.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-16, 05:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The problem with installing a regular door lockset is the weather. Fluctuations in humidity and heat/cold can make wood do goofy things. Keeping a lockset such as you describe perfectly aligned will be a nightmare. Even gate locks have play in them to accommodate the movement in the wood.

Old 12-20-16, 06:26 PM
1. Yes, most locks are designed for door thicknesses of 1.25" to 1.75".

2. Weather would have very little effect on a Grade 1 (commercial) lockset in 32D finish, which is stainless steel. Of course, for the price of these locks, you've paid for the typical residential lock 4 to 8 times over. Still, it's a long term investment.

3. Unless appearance is of paramount importance, you should consider a cross member, or header, to tie the 2 posts together, as this would eliminate the possibility of the hinge post sagging with the weight of the gate, over time.

4. I would plan on 3/16" clearance latch stile to post. This gives you some wiggle room. Also, a Grade 1 lockset will have a slightly longer latch throw than the typical residential lock (Grade 2 & 3).

5. If the gate will get heave usage, and better security and reliability is desired, consider a commercial mortise lockset, which will have a longer latch throw than the Grade 1 Cylindrical lock. It has a different door prep, so you might want to study it a bit first.

Old 12-21-16, 02:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Weather would have very little effect on a Grade 1 (commercial) lockset
I agree, commercial locksets are great. I would be worried more about the wood moving and throwing the lockset out of alignment on a daily basis. The header would work, but now you have to deal with tall stiles so you can walk under the header. I have difficult enough time keeping gate locksets with slop built into them aligned.

Old 12-21-16, 05:35 PM
Yeah, even perfect alignment won't last long in climate extremes. Unless the fence/gate is built hell for stout, you should incorporate a brace rod with turnbuckle for periodic tweaking, even if you have diagonal wood bracing. And another advantage with a header is the ability to install a door closer to keep the gate from slamming and ruining the hardware. The hydraulic fluid won't freeze, altho you might have to make small seasonal adjustments to closing speed valve.

Also, the layout of the fence that fastens to the hinge post is important; if the fence run up to the hinge post is in line with the gate opening, the hinge post is braced against the pull of the gate most of the time, but if the fence comes up at right angles to the hinge post, the gate will sag more readily, unless additional bracing is used.

Old 03-08-17, 03:41 PM
Meroni make some cool locksets that can be used in those applications. Different materials available including polymer, stainless steel etc.
Easy to use and install. Look good too. Keyed versions start about $85 depending on model. passage and privacy are cheaper.