Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Front Door Handle Sticking

CANADA

04-15-17, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Front Door Handle Sticking

I have a front door where when I open it inside the inside handle sticks halfways. When I try to turn it up or down it won't move but if I push the outside latch it pops up no problem. I tried spraying a lube on the latch side but this doesn't seem to be working. Not sure if opening the handle cover on the inside and spraying inside will make any difference. Note position of inside handle where is locks. See images for door handle type.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links

TX

04-15-17, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)  
In a process of elimination, remove the inside lever and check it's operation separately; it should have it's own return spring that may be broken. If it operates well, free from the rest of the handleset (which is usually the case), remove the outside grip handle so you can examine it's operation, as well as the latch, remaining in the door. Each manufacturer has their own design to translate the thumbpiece lever motion to the latch retraction, none of them particularly efficient. This is where most problems occur.

With inside and outside sections removed, apply some light oil or spray lubricant to all moving parts. Test the moving parts individually before reassembling. Make sure lever is carefully aligned when reassembling.

TX

04-15-17, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)  
If, after discovering a broken spring, or after lubing all parts to no avail, perhaps it's time to replace. The photo shows it to be a Kwikset brand, (or clone), a popular brand due to it's low cost, but not known to to be long-lived.

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

04-15-17, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)  
You may find that just loosening the screws holding the inside lever to the door and adjusting the position (usually up a little bit) may restore proper operation. If the door was bored a little oversize, the lever can slide down a little causing it to bind.

Paul

Inside every small project is a big project waiting to slug you over the head and take all your money and time....

TX

04-15-17, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)  
A good point, Carbide...definitely to be tried first. A second look at the photo shows the rose possibly having slipped down and left. The lever shank also appears to be binding on the upper right side of the rose hole.

Another thing that happens with rough use or on a door that's hard to open, is that strong pulling on the lever, can bend the spindle on which the lever shank is fastened to, causing it to bind. It can usually be bent back, but the structure won't be as strong as before. Inexpensive lever locks would last longer on heavy doors if folks would remember to do most of the pulling close to the shank/spindle.

Search this Thread