securing an ATV and trailer

Old 06-12-17, 04:23 AM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
securing an ATV and trailer

First off, I know I'm taking a risk. But I think its minimal.

I plan on leaving my ATV and trailer at my cabin over the summer. Most of the time it will be non occupied. I will be there maybe once or twice a week. The previous owner suggested that chaining the equipment to a tree should be sufficient especially considering the terrain and effort to get to the cabin.

My question...

What do you think is more secure? Of course I will need a decent lock for either case. If someone did try to steal the machine which is harder to break?

I can go with actual chain such as https://www.harborfreight.com/5-16-i...ain-97712.html

or

cable such as https://www.harborfreight.com/30-ft-...ble-62414.html

The chain (with hooks) will afford me the option of using it to tow or pull things but that is not important. The cable is much cheaper! But again cost is not a main factor.

Old 06-12-17, 04:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I don't know which is more secure but a chain will last longer. Any danger of someone cutting the tree down? Another way to secure one is to put an anchor in the ground to secure the lock/chain to.

Old 06-12-17, 04:35 AM
Good point. And yes I did think about sinking a cement block into the ground with a steel loop attached for just such reasons.

Old 06-12-17, 04:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 857 Votes on 790 Posts
I used a auger to bore holes in my trailer parking area. I welded some metal bits to the end of chain and dropped it in the hole and filled it with concrete. I've also done the same with large cable. Since doing that none of my trailers have been stolen.

Since your place is unoccupied any potential thief will have plenty of time to work. Anything you can do to make it more difficult to steal will help. Nothing is fool proof but you just want to increase the hassle factor.

Old 06-12-17, 04:47 AM
The problem is that it's not reasonable to haul the unit back and forth each and every trip. I'm going to talk to my insurance agent and ask about theft insurance and what I must do to enforce the policy.

Old 06-12-17, 06:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I have to move a shed to my stepson's to house his new riding mower, just haven't got to it yet
In the meantime I took an old mobile home tie down I had, dug a hole half way down with a post hole digger, screwed the tie down further and then replaced the dirt. His mower is secure with the chain [old piece I had on hand] being the weakest link [no pun intended]

Old 06-12-17, 06:15 AM
Yes, I plan on doing that as PD suggested. Concrete mix is cheap and I have small pieces of chain. The hardest part is digging the holes. I called my insurance carrier and they are going to get back to me.

Old 06-12-17, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
In addition to chaining it down you could block up one corner and remove a wheel and lock in the shed or cabin.
If you get a cordless impact gun it would litteraly take a minute to do and hopefully make it too much work for theives to steal it.

I leave a small fishing boat on a trailer at my seasonal lot and just remove the trailer hitch coupler when we leave.
It could still be stolen but theives are likely to take one that is easier to hook up.

Old 06-12-17, 08:15 AM
Good idea.

I checked with my insurance company. Basic coverage including liability and theft. Even if I left it unsecured it would still be covered for theft and damage.

Old 06-13-17, 09:26 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A couple of my cottage neighbors leave their snowmobiles on their trailers all year. They welded a ball to the end of a long thick steel pipe and cemented that in the ground. The hitch is placed on the ball and one of those locking collars secures it. I like this over my method of just passing a chain through one wheel because with the tongue anchored it's easy to get the toys off & on without needing to attach to my truck first.

Still need to chain the toy to the trailer

Old 06-13-17, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most chain today is mild steel and easily cut with a hack saw or bolt cutters. Herc-Alloy chain will require an angle grinder or torch to cut it off. Decent padlocks will cost $85+.

I'd be more tempted to use cable than chain

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: