looking for double keyed door knob

Old 08-19-17, 05:42 PM
looking for double keyed door knob

Looking to install a door knob to separate an au-pair unit from the rest of the house. Should be lockable with a key from the home side and no access from the aupair side (or perhaps keyed access). Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-17, 05:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
They definitely exist. I'm sure that Schlage makes them.

Old 08-19-17, 06:13 PM
If this is to replace a USA standard doorknob or lever, there are many functions available. Some possibilities you might consider:

1) "Exit lock" Has an operative lever one side, a blank plate on the other;
2) "Communicating lock" has a key on both sides, so that either side can be set to lock or unlock;
3) "Storeroom lock" one side always unlocked, the other always locked with key entry;
4) "Classroom lock" one side always unlocked, the other can be left locked or unlocked, with key

And many other functions. Big Box stores only carry passage, privacy and entry functions, tho the Entry Function may work for you.
It has a button on the inside to lock the outside, ie., your typical house lock.

Old 08-19-17, 09:40 PM
Group Moderator
Keep fire egress in mind. It could be life threatening if that locked door kept someone from exiting the premises.

I have a Kwikset version of what you are asking about. It has a key on both sides. I use this in a converted sun porch addition that is mostly glass up the door. The key is hung out of reach of the windows on a nearby wall.