Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bathroom door latch bolt not fully extending

MD

08-27-17, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Bathroom door latch bolt not fully extending

When I turn the outside knob to enter the bathroom, the latchbolt fully retracts, but when I let go, the bolt only comes part-way back out, so it doesn't catch the strike plate and the door won't stay closed. I can pull the bolt out with my fingers, and the inside knob rotates a bit when I do that.

Do I fix this by spraying the bolt with WD40, or do I need to take the handle off and fix something inside the doorknob/lock?

Note that we recently had this door adjusted (bottom cut) because it wasn't closing properly. I know they took the door off its hinges, but don't remember if they took the handle off. The door worked fine for a few weeks and now it won't stay closed.

The current problem may not have anything to do with the door being adjusted, but wanted to mention it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Lefty3

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

08-27-17, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)  
The first thing to do is tighten the hinges You can always spray the mythical ghost of WD40. Sometimes it works. Other than that, look closely to see how the tongue aligns with the striker plate.

MD

08-27-17, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Sorry if I confused things with the door repair story, but I don't think the hinges are the problem. Everything seems to be aligned fine, but the bolt doesn't come out far enough to engage the strike plate. I shouldn't have to pull the tongue out by hand. I guess I'll try WD40, and confirm the alignment. Thanks.

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

08-27-17, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Latches do sometimes wear out... the first thing to go is usually the spring that pushes the latch back out. If the latch is a drive-in style they are sometimes damaged if they are hammered into place without being retracted first. Hard to say what might have been done if someone else took it apart. WD-40, or further investigation by disassembly can't hurt at this point.

But it is usually possible to find a replacement latch without having to buy a whole new passage set.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

08-27-17, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Check the hinges anyway. It only takes a few minutes.

TX

08-29-17, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)  
If the lock was removed, it could have been put back on in a bind, or misaligned....Remove knob/lever so you can apply a bit of lube to individual parts, and reinstall carefully. If that's to no avail, they're usually too cheaply made to repair.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

08-29-17, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)  
Sometimes if the screws holding the handle in place are cranked too tight, it causes the latch to stick and not extend all the way. Had this happen with brand new lock sets. Try loosening the two screws behind the inside door handle.

MO

09-04-17, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)  
I agree with czizzi. Often if the connecting screws are over tightened, they can cause binding. But also be aware that because most handles are fitted 36" from the floor, people naturally will push down on the handle, causing the handle to dislodge from it's correct position. This will sometimes cause the center spindle to misalign and might also cause binding

Search this Thread