Broken Latch Mechanism (Closed Door!)

Old 01-07-18, 06:15 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Broken Latch Mechanism (Closed Door!)

Hello!

Thought I'd ask for ideas here before brute forcing this door open.

The latch assembly was completely broken, with it sliding back without retracting the latch on this closed door. Ended up breaking it off completely trying to fix it

The trim on the doorway prevents me from opening it from the side, even when attempting to slide flexible materials into it. Any ideas on what could be done? I believe everything, including the spring has come out (some of it fell out to the other side of the door).

Just hoping for some idea before I resort to cutting out part of the wooden trim and attempting to open it with a credit card.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 01-07-18, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
A pic from the other side might help is see what's preventing you from Jimmying it on the outside. Was this a keyed passage lock?

And preemptively, don't listen to anyone who tells you to remove the hinge pins.

Old 01-07-18, 07:00 PM
W
Hi Xsleeper, thanks for your quick response.
This door is closed and I cannot open it -- it was a privacy style knob set (ie it did lock, just not by key).

I took this picture from the outside (I am locked out of the bathroom) and there is wood in the way that is preventing me from sliding anything between the door and frame. I have attempted to regardless and failed. Hinges are on the other side of the door.

At this point I am considering either cutting out a portion of the wood so that I can attempt to slide something between the door and frame though I would like to avoid this if at all possible.

This room is on the second floor and the windows are very secure, I cannot get in from outside without breaking something.

Thanks again

Old 01-07-18, 07:03 PM
W
attached is a wider picture - thank you

Attached Images  
Old 01-07-18, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
Ok, i see that now. The extreme closeup made me think it was an exterior door with sunlight coming through the hole. All you need to do is take a sharp putty knife and pop off the door stop. Start at the bottom... tap the putty knife with a hammer to drive it behind the door stop... work your way up, carefully prying it a little at a time, but don't damage the wood. You just need to open it up a crack.

Then your credit card or a putty knife will get it open.

Old 01-07-18, 10:04 PM
W
Thumbs up

Hello XSleeper,
I was able to get the door open using the method you suggested!

Thank you so much for your help, not sure what I would have done without you haha

Attached Images  
Old 01-08-18, 04:25 AM
Group Moderator
Glad you got it... I'm sure you needed to get into the bathroom sometime soon!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: