cannot remove rose / escutcheon plate on schlage commercial doorknob

Old 01-26-18, 07:09 PM
cannot remove rose / escutcheon plate on schlage commercial doorknob

I believe these are Schlage doorknobs (they have medeco cylinders) and are keyed on both sides of the door. I have been able to remove the the handles with a key present and sticking an awl into the hole on the handle. But I have not been able to remove the rose plate to reveal the screws that hold the outside and inside assemblies together. I have tried prying them off and turning them but have not gotten them loose. These roses do not have any indents or wire tension locks like I have seen on other handle sets.

I noticed on the interior side there is another hole on a ring that is a separate piece than the rose place. The ring can be rotated separately from the rose plate with some pliers (doesn't really move freely)

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-18, 07:27 PM
Old 01-26-18, 08:18 PM
my issue is that i haven't been able to get the outer trim plates off, so I haven't gotten as far the video covers.

looks like I might need a spanner wrench? Schlage M504-310

Old 01-27-18, 06:59 AM
Call Schlage and ask for specific instructions.

Old 01-27-18, 08:37 AM
What you've marked unknown hole is the secret; that's where the tip of the spanner would go. You can use the corner of a flat screwdriver in that hole and gently bump the threaded retainer on the inside loose. Then unscrew the retainer and the rose/estucheon should come off with it.
Note the underside of the rose/estucheon has a couple of projections. If the door is metal (looks like it is), there will be a couple of notches and 9 and 3 o'clock on the 2 1/8" mounting hole; this is where the projections on the underside will fit when you reinstall the lock. If the door is wood, they can go anywhere

Old 01-27-18, 10:28 AM
there is a standard "wrench" designed for that hole and throat.

Just take a pair of vice grips and turn the collar counter clockwise until it unscrews. Then remove the rose to reveal the connecting screws. You will need to unscrew the internal nut that hugs the shaft of the internal mechanism, to be able to remove the whole lock from the door.

This is a commercial grade 1 classroom lock (from the look of it).

Old 02-02-18, 03:43 PM
This is an older D series Schlage, that doesn't use tie screws; as ThisOldMan said, simply unscrewing the collar allows the lock to be removed. There is a nylon friction ring under the collar that provides some resistance even after you've loosened the initial tightness, that may require continued use of a tool until it's completely unscrewed and detached. In addition to ThisOldMan's method, if you have a channel lock pliers with rounded jaws, you can unscrew the rose ring by wrapping a few thicknesses of a shop rag around the ring to protect the finish. Don't grip too tightly or you'll deform the ring.