Security door latch or bolt?

Old 02-05-18, 03:53 PM
Security door latch or bolt?

What is the best / easiest type of lock that one can install on the inside of an exterior door in addition to the existing dead bolt and keyed entry lock?

Cannot install a barrel bolt because that requires a small section of the door jamb to be flushed with the door on the inside and this door swings out.

I guess one of those chain thing would work.

Are there any other types of latches that I should consider?

Last edited by MiamiCuse; 02-05-18 at 04:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-18, 05:55 PM
Barrel and slide bolts can be installed on outswing doors by drilling a hole in the jamb/stop. A fairly large bolt will project deeper than the raised portion of the door stop, giving it a good bite. The problem with most surface-mounted auxiliary locks (loosely called "Rim" locks in USA) are the fastening screws that come with them.....usually too short for wood doors and the wrong type for metal doors. With extra effort, Rim locks and barrel/slide bolts can be made reasonably secure, but rather than put a third lock on your door, which would slow down an emergency exit, requiring three actions to open the door (some jurisdictions prohibit barrel/slide bolts and/or 3 separate locks), a better bet would be to beef up/improve the existing deadbolt. There are aftermarket kits and parts that improve the strike plate installation (the weakest link on most doors, both inswing & outswing) as well as the deadbolt installation on the door itself. If the deadbolt itself is one of the cheap contractor-grade models, a higher quality lock will improve security as well.

As for "chain things" forget it. With a few rather expensive exceptions, (and these are not chains, but rather Rim locks with a sliding bracket that allows the door to open a few inches) chains, as most of us know them, are worthless.

Old 02-05-18, 08:41 PM
"Barrel and slide bolts can be installed on outswing doors by drilling a hole in the jamb/stop."

I checked this out and feel this is not really that practical.

As you can see, there is a weather seal between the door jamb and the surface of the door. The weather seal is about 3/4" thick.

If the slide bolt is 1/2" in diameter, the center of the drilled hole needs to be 1" proud of the door surface, and that will mean the hole drilled is right at the edge of the jamb. To even give a 1/2" of buffer, the hole will need to be 1.5" from the door. That means I need to attach a piece of wood that's 1.5" thick (like a 2X4) to the door before a barrel and slide bolt can be mounted.

Old 02-07-18, 07:24 PM
Wow, that is a thick weather seal! Yes that would be unhandy for a conventional slide or barrel bolt. Perhaps this would be an application for a so-called "Offset" barrel bolt, where the portion that enters the hole in the jamb is offset from the main portion with the handle. The offset is not extreme, so it may still require a small amount of spacing, depending on the brand.

Old 02-08-18, 06:00 AM
Thank you, I didn't even know there is such a thing called "offset barrel bolt". I did a search and that may work.

Something like this.

Old 02-09-18, 04:08 PM
That's them....unfortunately the design does not allow for "deadlocking" the bolt in the thrown position. There may be a friction device within the housing that tends to hold the bolt in place, just don't know.

Old 02-16-18, 04:19 PM
Perhaps an alternative suggestion might be to use an ERA bolt otherwise known as a door security bolt. Cheap. Simple install and mortised.

You might have difficulty locating them in the big box store, but some smaller hardware stores might have them and older locksmiths like me.

Expect to pay no more than US$12-15 each.