Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help to remove Schlage deadbolt

02-10-18, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Help to remove Schlage deadbolt

Hello, I need to remove a Schlage double-cylinder deadbolt from our front door. Problem is, there is no visible way to remove it. There is a hole on one side and a pin with no head on the right.
I've tried this and than but not worked. I've enclosed 2 pics of lock (hole on left and pin on right)
The only person who might have know anything is no longer with us, any ideas with how to remove deadbolt without destroying door would be appreciated.
Thank You

Attached Images

Sponsored Links

WA

02-11-18, 02:50 AM   #2 (permalink)  
The bolt on the right looks to have a "plug" in the head. I had these in my deadbolt and they were removable by sticking the point of a utility knife in between the plug head and the body of the lock. The bolt on the left looks to be security bolt and would take a specialized screwdriver to remove. These screwdrivers and/or bits are readily available through mail order, especially electronics stores.

Here are some examples. https://www.amazon.com/SCREWDRIVER-S.../dp/B005YCX8HG

02-11-18, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)  
no head on pin/plug, it actually sinks in a little from surface, the hole has smooth sides doesn't seem to be for hex key

WA

02-11-18, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Last resort is to drill off the heads of the bolts. They may be hardened bolts in which case a cobalt drill bit will be needed. The heads are not very thick, maybe 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch. As I recall the bolts themselves are 10-32.

02-11-18, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Problem Solved!

I went ahead and hired a lock smith, eft side with hole was hiding hex key screw, right side he used a dremel to groove top and twisted it off. $64.00 later, Ijob done, 'm happy! Thanks All!

Search this Thread