Loose Deadbolt plate - was it an attempted break in?

Old 05-06-18, 06:56 PM
Loose Deadbolt plate - was it an attempted break in?

I was leaving the house today and I noticed that the inside round cover (the cover under the thumb latch) of my Kwikset deadbolt was quite loose. The keyhole circle from the outside is loose too . I don't think it was that loose yesterday.

Was this an attempted break in? Is there any way to tell?

I know deadbolt face plates become loose over time and there are instructions online for tightening them, but I am more concerned that this may be an attempted break in

The lock looks exactly like the one pictured below. I found these pictures online so that I wouldn't have to take pictures and transfer them to my computer and then load them

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-18, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Doubtful. You would notice major dents on your door from a prybar. Your screws have likely come loose as a result of normal wear and tear. Loctite thread locker was not likely used to keep them from eventually getting loose.

Loosen the Allen screw on your thumb turn.... pop off the escutcheon... fully unscrew the machine screws then place a drop of blue Loctite on the tip of each screw and reinstall.

Old 05-06-18, 09:00 PM
Thank you XSleeper. I was going to tighten it today but my understanding is that it needs a 1/16 Allen wrench which I need to purchase in the morning.
So do I use the Allen to remove the thumb latch, then remove the plate and tighten the screws with loctite, that is it? would that tighten the key side as well? The kehole area is pretty loose too.

Would an attempt to bump the lock or brute force it with a tool as shown in the video below cause it to loosen? I was concerned because today it becamse so loose all of a sudden. It was fine yesterday

Last edited by XSleeper; 05-06-18 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Removed link
Old 05-06-18, 09:04 PM
Group Moderator
Again, you would notice marks on the lock and door if someone tried to whack it.

Old 05-09-18, 06:53 AM
The sudden loosening could be that the lock was originally installed on a freshly varnished door and not tightened well, and with time, a slight contraction of the wood allowed the lock to break loose from the varnish. The machine screws used to fasten typical locks to a door are usually fine thread, and in most cases don't require a thread locker..... however, Xsleeper's advice is good, because in some cases, especially on cheaper locks and/or non-reinforced hollow metal or wood doors, the screws won't tighten up without deforming the door or binding the lock.

And, as he said, a break in attempt would leave pry marks. Lock picking attempts, including bumping, don't leave obvious marks (except microscopically).

And I will emphasize BLUE Locktite, not RED.

Old 05-12-18, 10:37 AM
Got the 1/16 Allen and loosened the little screw on the Thumb Latch. Thumb latch is stuck - cannot be removed. Completely removed the allen screw. No luck.
Tried to pry out the thumb latch with a putty knife. Thumb latch came off, but I think the bottom piece of it is broken and now stuck in and I am unable to remove the escutcheon. tried WD40. No luck.
I have put the thumb latch back in and put back the allen screw as well. Lock still works but is loose as heck

Any ideas? Maybe time to call a professional locksmith?

Old 05-13-18, 05:33 AM
Look for a small slot on the edge of the inside estucheon. Insert a small flat screwdriver to disengage the clip.

I second rstripe; BLUE Locktite.