Cant remove deadbolt please help

Old 06-10-18, 02:55 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cant remove deadbolt please help

I've removed both the interior and exterior plates and can see the mechanism of the lock. On the edge of the door there are no screws holding it in place and if I grip the actual deadbolt I can rotate it both directions but no matter how I pull it won't come loose. Is there possibly something securing it (which I doubt since you can spin it) or is brute force my best option.

Old 06-10-18, 03:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
That's just a standard drive-in latch. Put a long heavy screwdriver or chisel behind it (inside the door knob hole) and you should be able to pry it back out. Or grab both sides of the screwdriver that you have stuck in through the hole and pull the screwdriver toward yourself. Takes a little effort when they are stuck.

Old 06-11-18, 09:02 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've stuck a screwdriver through the hole behind the "plus" shaped hole that actually turns the mechanism and pulled to no avail. I then stuck a screwdriver against the back of the bolt and tried hammering it out forward and it didn't move the slightest, actually it started to bend the metal so bad the deadbolt won't slide flush with the door anymore. I'm at a complete loss since it seems that if there were still screws or "teeth" holding it in place I wouldn't be able the rotate the bolt but it still refuses the be pulled forward.
[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/Ek1tAN0.gifv)

Old 06-11-18, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
Don't know what to tell ya. Use something thicker behind the latch to pry it put. You should be prying between the end of the latch and the side of the bore hole in the door.

Old 06-12-18, 12:59 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Drive-in bolts are notorious for loosening up in time, and it wouldn't surprise me if somebody used epoxy to install this one....try a large vice-grip on the extended bolt and pull like heck? BTW, a regular bold can be mortised in and result in a better installation, after you get this one out.

Old 06-12-18, 01:05 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Well I saw your video after I posted, and see you've already tried the vice grip trick. Guess it's time for ye olde "slide hammer" aka body dent puller.

Old 06-12-18, 02:05 PM
Group Moderator
Put a heavier vise grips on there... not a needle nose one. Clamp it down on the deadbolt so that it's perpendicular to the bolt. (Not parallel to it, like in the video.) Then smack the side of the vise grips with a hammer to knock it out. (Assuming it hasn't been epoxied into place.)

Hard to believe that prying behind it hasn't got it out yet. You aren't being "meek" with it, are you?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: