Door Handle Coming apart and I can't figure out how to remove the vanity plate

Old 07-15-18, 03:58 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Door Handle Coming apart and I can't figure out how to remove the vanity plate

So all of sudden in the last week or so, the door handle on our front door has started to come apart and I can't seem to figure out how to remove the vanity cover on the inside without damaging it.

I've included a link to a video showing what I am dealing with. Do I just have to pry to the damn thing off and potentially get a new door handle? Thnks for any help!

Link to Video

Old 07-15-18, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
I imagine there is a set screw on the side of the handle. Might take a metric Allen wrench. Once the handle is off, the rose will slip off.

Old 07-15-18, 06:37 PM
P
Originally Posted by XSleeper
I imagine there is a set screw on the side of the handle. Might take a metric Allen wrench. Once the handle is off, the rose will slip off.
Thanks! I am not sure how I missed that, but it worked. So I took off the back side of the lock and found a screw just hanging out. Is it important?!?

Also here's a video of me working the handle...does this seem to be working ok? What's the best way of testing mechanism out to make sure it's functioning?

https://youtu.be/Bk1_iJN9GSk

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I've just never dealt with doors much.

Old 07-15-18, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
You say it has started to come apart... what exactly has come apart on its own? I don't know where that screw hoes without looking at it in person.

if the 2 screws came loose, you probably just need to screw it together again. But that loose screw is a mystery. You would probably need to take the other side off to figure out where it goes.

What brand is it? Kwikset?

Old 07-15-18, 07:27 PM
P
Originally Posted by XSleeper
You say it has started to come apart... what exactly has come apart on its own? I don't know where that screw hoes without looking at it in person.

if the 2 screws came loose, you probably just need to screw it together again. But that loose screw is a mystery. You would probably need to take the other side off to figure out where it goes.

What brand is it? Kwikset?
Update - just going to buy a new handleset as there's obviously something wrong with this one and there's no point in wasting my or anyone else's time with this. Really appreciate all the help!!

So the inside portion of the assembly started to pull apart from the door making the mechanism not very functional from the inside and not able to open the door from the outside. You should be able to see it in the first video I posted.

But yeah, that small screw was just sitting there in the hole which made me think that something broke inside.

Anyway, I was able to tighten the two screws that were originally loose, as seen in the video below but then the outside push latch stopped working completely.

https://youtu.be/EWI5vgwc7Fs

So I decided to undo the inside mounting screw holding the entire assembly together without realizing that the outside portion of the lock would just fall out. The result was that everything came apart without me seeing how they went together.

Anyway, two questions:

1. In one of the pictures it definitely looks like something was pretty warped. Maybe that's where that short screw fell out of?
2. How the hell do I put everything together? I took a picture of all the pieces on a piece of cardboard.

Sorry for making this a lot more complicated than it needed to be! I definitely owe you a virtual beer or something. As for the brand...I don't see any identifiable markings besides a seven digit number on the inside of outdoor portion of the handle

Last edited by ppilot; 07-15-18 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Just going to buy a new handleset
Old 07-15-18, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
What is written on the latch? The latch is the portion still held in the edge of the door with 2 screws.

Yeah at this point, getting a new one is probably your best bet.

Old 07-15-18, 07:48 PM
P
Kwikset not sure how I missed that...but I think I am just going to buy a new handleset as something obviously went wrong and really hasn't worked great since we bought the house about five years ago. Again thank you so much for the help!!

Old 07-16-18, 08:23 AM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
Late to the party, but if OP still reading, consider paying a little more and replace with Schlage brand handleset.... the Kwikset brand has been the top selling residential brand in this country for many years, because they're inexpensive and offer a reasonable service life generally, but thumb-operated handlesets are more trouble-prone due to the more inefficient drive train between the thumb piece and latch, as compared to ordinary door knobs and levers. My Schlage handleset is now 19 years old with daily use, needing only a drop of oil on the latch now and then.

Even when new, sometimes handlesets are inadequately lubricated in the critical thumbpiece-to-latch gear mechanism. Check before installing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: