What tool do I need to rekey my schlage deadbolt?

Old 08-19-18, 01:38 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What tool do I need to rekey my schlage deadbolt?

I purchased a rekey kit to rekey 3 schlage deadbolt locks, but I'm missing a tool to remove the key cylinder cap. I found several tools online but none are guaranteed to work with all schlage deadbolts, and mine looks different than any of the locks shown in videos and photos I've found online. See the attached two photos. The cap does not screw off, and what looks like a pin on the top does not depress. The schlage cylinder cap removal tools I've seen online do not look like they'd be of any value as there are no pin holes to grab.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached Images   
Old 08-19-18, 01:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Not all tumblers are re-keyable. That may be one of them.

Old 08-20-18, 02:04 PM
T
Received 195 Upvotes on 171 Posts
They 'arrived' and 'departed' after I retired, but I believe you have a Schlage Securekey cylinder. Click here and then here for more information.

Old 08-20-18, 03:17 PM
R
PJMax and ThisOldMan, I believe you are both right. Thanks so much!

Old 08-22-18, 08:23 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
As ThisOldMan stated, they came, they went, I think due to patent infringement with Kwikset's similar design. I would avoid locks with both designs, as they were vulnerable (at least in the initial versions) to certain inherent weaknesses, and reliability issues. IIRC, Schlage used a "Change Key" of a different color when you wanted to re-key it. Somewhere I remember reading about a work-around if you didn't have the Change Key...

These designs are a real Rube Goldburg ingenious invention, using a bunch of tiny precision-cast parts, nevertheless, the made-in-China-cheaply result was more prone to malfunction than your ordinary pin-tumbler lock.

Old 09-06-18, 09:20 AM
You can still find the blue reset keys. Cut a copy of your existing key onto a blue key. Cut a copy of the new key you want to key to, on a blue key.

insert blue key into cylinder, turn to 11 o'clock, withdraw key. insert new blue key into cylinder turn to 12 o'clock and withdraw.....cyl is now rekeyed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: