Help Removing 30-year Old Dexter Front Door Knob

Old 09-16-18, 08:40 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Help Removing 30-year Old Dexter Front Door Knob

As the title suggests, I really need to replace this door knob (For my main entrance), it has lost function and finish. If someone could suggest a best practice or steps to removing this knob, and a brand which carries smaller diameter door knobs / deadbolts that would be able to fit in the existing hole, I would really appreciate your help.

It is a Dexter Doorknob that has been on the house for thirty years. I have included both interior and exterior shots, with multiple angles.

I was able to successfully remove the deadbolt, my only problem is that the diameter for the deadbolt is smaller than the one I purchased by Kwikset. The kwikset lock requires a larger hole and longer travel for the bolt. Are there smaller diameter door/bolt sets available at the big box stores, or should I just grab a hole saw and make the necessary adjustments?

Please see the images below or at the album link here: https://imgur.com/a/xuxPmQe

Old 09-17-18, 10:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
on the throat/neck of the inside knob, the little metal retainer disc requires to be depressed to remove the knob. Then pry the rose off to reveal 2 connecting screws that hold the outer mechanism on.

You can purchase a Cal-Royal Brand or LSDA Grade Three deadbolt from a locksmith that will fit in the existing deadbolt hole without modifying the hole size.

If you do decide to drill a bigger hole, be sure to first clamp two pieces of wood over the existing hole and then redrill after measuring, to ensure easy modification of the cross bore hole.

Old 09-18-18, 01:56 PM
R
Received 47 Upvotes on 44 Posts
Just to elaborate on GlobalLocky's advice, the knob retaining tab can sometimes be difficult to push in so the knob can be removed...use a little muscle, but careful not to stab yourself. As to the deadbolt hole, the old standard was 1-1/2" IIRC, with the newer standard being 2-1/8". You might check the details listed on the packaging of the Big Box store deadbolts, as some are adaptable to the smaller hole. The older Grade 3 light duty Kwiksets would fit, but not their heavier Grade 1. Also, confirm your backset measurement (door edge to center of hole) at 2-3/8". Most deadbolts can now be adjusted to this residential standard, a few can't.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: