Removal of schlage commercial bathroom door lever

Old 10-18-18, 09:38 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removal of schlage commercial bathroom door lever

Please help me see what I need to do to get the cylinder out! I want to remove this door lever. It says Schlage but I don’t know what model. I am new to this. The reason why I need DIY is because the locksmith quoted me $600 just for labor for 4 of these in my office. Thanks everyone!

Name:  l1.jpg
Views: 1927
Size:  53.4 KB

Name:  l2.jpg
Views: 2298
Size:  72.6 KB

Name:  l3.jpg
Views: 3670
Size:  62.8 KB

Name:  l4.jpg
Views: 2060
Size:  53.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-18-18 at 10:31 PM. Reason: added pics from link
Old 10-19-18, 05:42 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
That is definitely some type of commercial type latch.

I have not worked with that specific one but have seen others where the two cast parts screwed together vs a residential latch that has screws that attach the inside and outside parts!

Old 10-19-18, 07:11 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Been a while since monkeying with commercial locks. I recall that you need to actuate the key on the other side of the door in order to remove the mechanism itself. Something to prevent tampering in that you need the key to proceed. Hope that helps.

Old 10-19-18, 07:51 PM
R
Received 45 Upvotes on 42 Posts
This is an older Schlage D series in which the chassis is held together with 2 tie screws at 12 and 6 o'clock (for which you have already removed) and a serrated ring nut around the spindle, still in place in your photo, and is easily removed with the proper spanner tool, supplied with the lock. Look closely and you'll see the ring...it has 4 slots evenly spaced around it to accept the studs in the spanner tool (which you don't have). It is easily removed without the tool by using a small flat-blade screwdriver, placed in one of the slots, and angled so that by tapping it with a small mallet/hammer in a CCW direction, it will loosen, and can then be spun off by hand. HOWEVER, on the opposite side of the slots the ring is serrated, so that with matching serrations on the chassis, it won't come loose easily.....so by reinserting the tie screws, and tightening them substantially, the pressure is removed from the ring, leaving it easier to unscrew.

Old 10-19-18, 07:54 PM
R
$600 just to remove locks??? I'm missing something here. Surely that includes installing new locks...

Old 10-19-18, 08:02 PM
R
Don't mistake the 4 slots I mentioned as being those shown near the circumference of the rose....you're looking for the ring nut just around the spindle.....(I can even see the serrations in your excellent photo). The outer slots I think were peened over to hold a brass plate that covers the lever return spring...this plate need not be removed.

Old 10-25-18, 08:22 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Marq1 and czizzi for your responses!

Big thanks to rstripe!!! I used the flat-blade screwdriver like you said and the ring came off. I did the same for all 4 locks that I needed replaced. LIFESAVER. Saved me from paying $600 anyhow! Thanks again!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: