Mortise lock broken: door wonít open

Old 10-27-18, 03:17 PM
Mortise lock broken: door wonít open

Hello everyone,

So, I have a mortise lock with a broken interior piece. I donít know what this is called so Iíve provided photos. As such, when I turn the knob the latch will not retract and the door will not open. I also tried using a butter knife to push in the latch while turning the knob but it still wonít retract.

Unfortunately the door door hinges are enclosed so I cannot take out the pins. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

LARGER PICS - https://imgur.com/a/5xO4Mbm
Name:  ml1.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  19.6 KB

Name:  ml2.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  21.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-27-18 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added pics from link
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-18, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
The round part in the center that moves when the knob is turned is broken.
Have you tried using a large screwdriver across the corners of that piece to open the door ?

Ultimately that lock will need to be removed form the door for repair.

Old 10-27-18, 05:52 PM
Put a threaded bolt thru the part with the square hole with a washer on each side (same diameter as the rotating piece). Place a nut on the bolt and tighten using 2 socket wrenches. Then use one socket wrench to turn the latch drive while moving the door in/out to minimize resistance on the latch.

Old 10-27-18, 06:07 PM
Group Moderator
I have a feeling the OP has access to only one side.

Old 10-28-18, 03:55 PM
That's the "Hub" that's cracked....also looks like the lock case is cracked as well. I assume this is a passage lock, ie., an interior door that doesn't lock with key? I also assume you've sprayed the hub area with a penetrating oil (WD40 or similar) to see if it frees up the mechanism sufficiently to open. Failing that, you'll need to use a pry bar or similar to spread the door from the frame. If the hinges are not visible, you're on the push side and the door stop may need to be pried off to facilitate use of the pry bar. A cracked hub and case suggests internal parts are frozen/jammed.

Old 10-28-18, 04:26 PM
Hi there,

Thanks for the responses! Yes, this door is an interior door to a closet, which has no locking mechanism from what I can tell. I havenít tried spraying with wd40 but I could also give that a try. If that doesnít work I will resort to the other methods that were mentioned!