request for advice regarding door barricade

Old 12-31-18, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
request for advice regarding door barricade

There are 3 wooden doors in my studio and I am trying secure them with barricade bars. Can you please advice on the following points (please note i am out of USA and american brands are not available here)?

1. What should I look for when selecting a bar (wood / metal, thickness etc...)
2. Is it ok to leave a gap between the door and the bar? I am thinking about fixing the brackets to the wall since the wooden frame is bit flimsy but then it leaves about an inch between the door and the bar.

TIA and wish you all a happy new year.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-18, 10:04 AM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
I'm not an expert in this area but can pass along some points I found when looking to secure my basement door. I found my biggest limiting issue was in my choice of brackets as bar material and size options were plentiful but I couldn't find brackets for many of them.

Assuming you have a span of approx. 36", I believe wood is a reasonable choice. A 2X6 or even a 2X4 can take quite a bit of force. If your concern is for more than someone using a shoulder, consider opting for two barricades per door.

Also, on the brackets, attach them into studs, at least 3 inches.

Finally, screw/glue a piece of 1" wood or plywood to the barricade to support the door.

Old 12-31-18, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 290 Posts
I make my own brackets but you have have any steel or welding shop make what you need. The cross bar can be steel or wood. I most often use wood as it's easy to cut to length and if the bar gets lost it's easy to make another one. Steel is nice if you want to padlock the bar in place as you can weld on hasps or cut in slots for locking.