Filing Cabinet Lock Replacement

Old 01-02-19, 02:20 PM
Filing Cabinet Lock Replacement

Hello

I am trying to replace the lock on my filing cabinet. I took it to a locks smith and they said they could not fix it. They suggested I go to Home Depot. So I went, but couldnt find any similar locks. I want to get them from eBay. Does anyone know what these are called?Pictures of the locks are in the link from my Flickr account.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-19, 02:28 PM
Does this lock secure just one draw or several draws at once? You might look at HON.com. They make a lock similar to what you have.

Old 01-02-19, 02:32 PM
It doesnt really secure draws. Its a very tall cabinet that has two doors on it. It opens like a fridge

Old 01-02-19, 02:36 PM
Do a Google image search for China cabinet locks. Also try going to Rockler.com. If you have Rockler store in your area you should go there and ask them if it can be replaced.

Old 01-02-19, 09:35 PM
What part is broken? I can't tell by the photos. If the rods are ok, the "L" -handle is a common replaceable item at most locksmiths and online. "T" handles can also be used, as they have the same square spindle, typically. Measure the distance between screw centers, it used to be that 90% were the same standard.

Old 01-03-19, 07:35 AM
The handle looks like a storm door locking handle.

Old 01-03-19, 01:26 PM
That's often referred to as a blind L handle. 'Blind' because the mounting screws don't go all the way through the mounting flange; was sometimes seen on old garage garage doors. Now they're more likely to be found on larger metal cabinets.

The distance between the mounting screws (threaded holes on your sample) should be either 1½" or 1¾"; you'll need to match that. Then all you need is mounting bolts with a plain head. Unless you can find a blind version at an office equipment or garage door vendor.

Do a web search for Locking L-Handle and you'll find plenty of sources.

Old 01-03-19, 02:33 PM
Looks very similar to an overhead door latch to me, and I'm not soliciting on their behalf, but seems like I've seen several different sizes and/or styles at my local Ace Hardware.