Door knob bumping into dryer won't close

Old 04-24-19, 10:06 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Door knob bumping into dryer won't close

I have an enclosure in my car port where my washer & dryer are as well as provide some extra storage of lawn equipment.

Last weekend I decided to raise the washer dryer by putting them on pedestals with some additional storage drawers.

Well, I was an idiot and didn't consider the new height of the washer and dryer is in the way of the door knob on the inside.

I have already pushed the dryer as far back as I feel comfortable without crushing the vent duct that comes out of it's back and I am still about 2" off.

I could move the washer and dryer around to leave a gap the width of the door knob between them but that will make it difficult to get out ladders and other stuff I have stored to the sides.

This is a keyed entry lock (so I can lock up the enclosure) from the outside. Can I remove the door knob on the inside, and instead have some metal plate for the screws only? Is there such a piece of hardware? Some sort of a "dummy back plate"? I don't ever need to open from the inside, and there is no space to fit a person inside.

Old 04-24-19, 02:35 PM
Received 291 Votes on 261 Posts
Remove handle lock set and buy a bolt lock set instead.

Should give you enough clearance to operate door.

Old 04-24-19, 03:34 PM
R
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
To get a blank plate inside and keyed knob outside, try the Schlage A79 function....it's a medium duty Grade 2 lock, available in several finishes and knob designs. Specify your backset (probably 2-3/8" Residential Standard).

It's not a common function, you may need to have your local locksmith order it.
Other manufacturers have this function as well, I'm just more familiar with Schlage.

The blank plate is about 3/16" thick, IIRC.

Old 04-24-19, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
These are double doors I assume?

Old 04-24-19, 03:57 PM
Received 291 Votes on 261 Posts
I respectfully dis-agree with rstripe, only because you will still have the option to use the door from the inside by using the item I suggested. And it's available without special order at any big box or hardware store. You say you will never have a need to open from the inside, but why not have the option anyway? No harm done.

Old 04-24-19, 05:45 PM
M
XSleeper yes double doors that swings out, each door 36" wide.

Old 04-24-19, 05:54 PM
M
"I respectfully dis-agree with rstripe, only because you will still have the option to use the door from the inside by using the item I suggested. And it's available without special order at any big box or hardware store. You say you will never have a need to open from the inside, but why not have the option anyway? No harm done."

A dead bolt would solve the problem somewhat but opens a few others. For example, the current door knob also functions as a "door pull". With a dead bolt to pull the door you kind of need to pull on the key to pull the door open unless I install another handle somewhere.

In addition, we don't lock the doors most of the time. Yes there is a washer, dryer, some rakes, shovels, trimmers, ladder inside so I typically do not lock the doors unless leaving for vacation. With a dead bolt I will need to lock and unlock it all the time unless I add something like a gate latch.

I don't need to open it from the inside, because with the washer and dryer there no one would be able to fit inside unless I climb on top of the washer or dryer and close the doors.

Old 04-24-19, 07:58 PM
R
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
If, as Norm suggests, there's the slightest possibility of someone (kids playing?) locking themselves in by climbing onto the machines, a compromise might be the commonly-available Schlage B250 Deadlatch...the inside thumbturn, may still give you the clearance you need, while preventing a "lock-in". The compromise, is that you'd still need a pull handle, and the key would need to remain in the lock, (or be otherwise readily available) for day to day use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: