What's this type mortise lock? How to fix?

Old 04-28-19, 10:36 AM
What's this type mortise lock? How to fix?

Hi... First post in long time.

I have an interior locking door with a worn two-sided swivel spindle. I was told you remove a swivel spindle by unscrewing it. Nope. It now seems to be broken. I have a new thread-connected swivel spindle i was hoping to replace the worn one with. Now I'd just like to remove the broken mortise lock. Maybe to better access its parts for repair. I have some other interior doors that we've unmounted that have knobs, etc., i could use to replace. They might not be 2 sided but they'll be better than nothing. But I can't see how to remove this mortise assembly! There are 3 parts that stick out of the door -- the latch and the 2 spindle ends. None of them are removable it seems! When I remove the 2 screws from the latch-plate I can't pull it off! It's held on by some sort of spring-thing. Anyone know how to do this or what kind of mortise this is? THANKS!!!

Name:  l1.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  87.5 KB

Name:  l2.JPG
Views: 42
Size:  66.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-01-19 at 02:04 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-19, 09:29 AM
Not a mortise lock. It's an old tubular privacy set (bedroom or bathroom). If the outside assembly is sill in place, remove the two screws at 12 and 6 and it should come off. Other than the spindle, I'd put your chances of finding parts at little-to-none.
Since the hole through the door is probably 1 1/2" and there are no privacy sets today, to my somewhat dated knowledge, that will fit, you're going to have to redrill the door.

Old 04-30-19, 05:21 AM
Thanks! I'll try... I've taken those screws out already and done some tugging... It's a step forward at least to know what it is.

Old 04-30-19, 06:31 AM
Old wood and old paint, you might need to give it a tap or two with a block of wood, but should come out as TOM described. Looks like significant wear, not abnormal after all those years, so whether you can reuse it is another story, and you won't find parts for it, other than perhaps a second hand store. As far as I recall, any of that style I have dealt with the offset is different than what's used today, so you very likely would need to redrill the door if you upgrade it. The problem being that you will not have wood for the pilot on a hole saw, so the ways I have done is to use a hole saw to cut a plug and glue it in place first, or to drill a hole the size you want in a piece of scrap plywood, clamp it to the door, and use it as a guide for your hole saw.

Old 04-30-19, 08:03 PM
i haven't started on removing it in earnest yet. any further advice appreciated! i did earlier remove the 2 screws on the one side -- at 12 and 6 oclock -- and nothing good happened. i tugged, etc. ...i also removed the screws from the front plate by the latch and that plate was under spring tension and wouldn't come off! what's up w that? it would pull out an inch then spring back. i've looked up tubular passage/privacy latch and haven't found anything just like what i have but they seem close! well i'm digging into it tomorrow... thanks...

Old 05-01-19, 10:55 AM
Tubular Privacy/Passage Lock -- revealed! Now to fix!

Yay, I got the latch-lock to come apart and I removed it from the door to study its mechanism. It looks interesting to me! Of course it is completely different from any tubular privacy/passage latch I've seen online. What great luck! (Ha.)

My goal is to get it working again. I forced the outside spindle in an attempt to undo the swivel spindle. I will check to see if I sheared something or if I just unhooked something. Hopefully I can remount everything.

I might not try to remove/replace the spindle at all -- i can drill thru and do a different install of the knobs if need be.

I now just want to get the latch to work again! I don't need the lock button to work but that would be nice. It appears that the lock might've been 2-sided? don't see why a passage latch would have such a design. anyway, a bent tab came out of the hallway lock-button hole the button-tab was on the room-interior side.

I'm used to worn old stuff that kind of works. I'd rather have it than soulless new stuff.

Wish me luck! Any advice appreciated...

Attached Images  
Old 05-01-19, 05:13 PM
for now i just installed a nonswivel passage lock from another stashed door instead...

i think i just need to "re time" this old one. ...get a tab back on the right side of a notch or something. i forced something past where it shd go. but i don't think i sheared anything. we'll see! i wanna get it working again...

Old 05-04-19, 08:17 PM
Very curious, never seen anything like this...Don't see a brand name on the latch, and presumably no key to give a clue. There were several brands that used a pushbutton in the rose, Weslock being the most recent. Looks to be pre-60's at least. Can you post a picture of the rest of the knobs and roses? And I'm curious as to how you got it out of the door...it looks like the body won't just slide out with that retractor thing projecting into the latch hole.

Old 05-07-19, 03:43 PM
I don't know what a rose is. But here are 2 more pics...

Attached Images   
Old 05-08-19, 06:49 AM
i forget how i got it out. it was easy tho. i might have rotated the spindle and retracted the projection.

Old 05-09-19, 05:23 PM
Thank you for the additional photos...I've never run across that type of latch retractor arrangement...( and the "rose" sometimes called the "rosette" is the flattish round plate that mounts up against the door). Do you know when the house was built? Just curious as to the age of the locks.

Old 05-10-19, 01:01 PM
house built 1949 -- owner builder i think -- electrical engineer -- he also built houses on either side for relatives

Old 05-11-19, 04:19 PM
Interesting....the design of this lock looks pre-WWII actually. Thanks!