Lever will not lock

Old 07-20-19, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lever will not lock

I have a Kwikset Lido lever handle that's only a couple of years old.

Suddenly, the door will not lock with a key and you can't turn the button on the inside, plus it appears that maybe a small screw fell out on the outside because that lever just slides off the locking post.

Easy answer might be to replace the non-working setup, but no local store stocks the matching lever and it's on a set of double doors, so if I were to change styles, I'd have to also replace the dummy side. Of course I could get a matching Lido in a couple of days, but considering that the door handle is only a year or two old, I'd love to fix it if I could.

Thanks.

Reason for Edit: One kid told me a story of how they thought it broke, but when the other one disagreed, the first said they had guessed. I have no idea how the locking mechanism broke.

Last edited by TryAgain; 07-20-19 at 06:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-19, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 137 Votes on 129 Posts
You should be talking to Kwikset, not us. Read their warranty info.

https://www.kwikset.com/products/det...l-11p-smt.aspx

Old 07-20-19, 10:08 PM
It appears I can get a set screw from the blue box, but that only solves one of my issues (unless the locking mechanism doesn't function without a set screw). Of course, right now I don't know which set screw is correct, but if no one knows the size offhand, it'd only be a couple of bucks to try a few.

Any help or guidance regarding repairing the lock would be appreciated.

Again, thanks.

Old 07-21-19, 01:34 AM
I had looked at the Kwikset website earlier to find the installation instructions and had scrolled through a couple of their Q&A screens to see people repeatedly say they had lost their set screws only to be given a link to places that sell them after a bunch of sentences about how they couldn't have lost their set screws unless they had taken them out.

After posting my question here and doing a lot of scrolling through several screens of repetitive questions, I discovered that the side lining up with the hole in the lever is supposed to be empty and you put an Allen wrench all the way through to screw the nub on the opposite side against the lever.

I also found that though they repeatedly referred to one size of Allen wrench, it could actually be the next size smaller and I discovered one answer posted three years ago that said that the misaligned set screw could be blocking the locking mechanism.

After trying the next smaller Allen wrench, I was able to tighten the set screw which held the lever in place and now it will lock both with the key and from the inside.

All fixed and now the answer is here in case it'll help someone else.

Good luck!