Did I break my Schlage F605 lever handleset?

Old 08-11-19, 03:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did I break my Schlage F605 lever handleset?

I loosened the screws to paint the outside of the door and one of the screws wouldn't tighten back up when I was done. I thought it wasn't in the assembly properly so I took the screws all the way out. It turns out the one screw is poorly machined and part if the last 1/8" of the threads are stripped and it was probably screwing down as well as it was going to. Anyway...

Now I can't get the inside lever handleset to go back on the door handle at all. It won't seat all the way down. When it is off, the lock button doesn't have a lock/unlock position and just turns freely and the lever is frozen in place on the inside assembly. (if I hold the handleset on the outside of the rose(?) I can't turn the lever.) When the inside assembly is off the rest of the handleset/lock, is it supposed to act more like it would if it was installed and functional? I have tried looking inside the assembly but can't see well enough to even guess if anything looks amiss.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-19, 10:30 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The only thing I can think of from your description, (other than the stripped screw), is if the tailpiece from the outer key cylinder is not oriented properly when you tighten the screws up, it can deform the locking mechanism in the inside assembly, and could render it inoperable. I don't know how old your lock is, but considering the stripped screw as well, The F series locks are inexpensive residential grade, and unless you have an unusual design, should be readily available at big box home centers.

Old 08-12-19, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That must be what happened - it did feel like I was forcing it. And you're right about not much $ at the big box. I will want to move the living room to family room so it matches the garage door and put newer model on the living room door but no big deal as long as I make sure those tailpieces are lined up. Thanks a bunch for the help!!!