Low Profile Door Knob?

Old 09-24-19, 02:29 PM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Low Profile Door Knob?

I'm looking for a low-profile door knob in antique bronze. This is a door knob for a small closet in a high traffic area, so it would be a no-key/no-lock "hall" style knob. I found a couple "UniDecor" knobs on Amazon, but reviews are mixed.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Cor...9356472&sr=8-1

Anyone ever use these? Reviews question the quality and suggest hole size isn't standard which makes it hard to go back if knob turns out to be useless.

One idea is I could maybe just use a no-key deadbolt knob on both sides, but not sure they make these, and all and all, it would be less preferable to a push-to-shut style door knob.

I also considered a "Baser" low profile knob which used to be sold at home depot, but can't seem to find them in the right finish and they might get "caught" on clothing from those passing by. Another option is "BAI-SALEM-LOW-PROFILE" knob. But these also have a chance to get caught on a bathrobe or something of someone going by.
https://www.thehardwarehut.com/catal...p?p_ref=187181

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any ideas or knows of any reputable products for low-profile door knobs.

Thanks!

Old 09-24-19, 02:55 PM
M
Received 159 Votes on 146 Posts
Is the door new and not drilled for a door knob?

If yes then why not use a recessed cabinet pull.
Then hold the door closed with a ball or magnet latch.

Old 09-24-19, 03:28 PM
P
Manden,

I bought an door at the local big box store which I will custom cut to size, then drill hole for knob and carve out for hinges.. so you can see why I worry about using non-standard holes and having to recreate the door.

Are you suggesting something like this?

Although I'd still prefer a traditional mechanism if possible, your idea is worth considering. I find magnets in these cases can be a little problematic and don't always stay shut that well. I've never used a ball latch for something like this. Do they hold pretty well and do they wear out easily? Door will get regular use for coats and stuff in the winter.

Edit: Also, what I like about your idea is that if it doesn't work, I could pretty easily revert back to a traditional knob using the same hole (or just boring it out more).

Old 09-24-19, 04:42 PM
M
A ball latch has the problem of the distance of the door to the frame has to be small so it may not work in your case.
A roller latch may be a better option for you as they are adjustable.
I have had one on a hall closet for over 40 years and never had a problem.

Old 09-25-19, 03:18 AM
M
Name:  Roller.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  22.2 KB

Above is a picture of what I have

Old 09-26-19, 01:15 PM
P
Manden,

Hmm... I'm going back and forth and would still prefer a traditional low profile knob if possible.. but your idea has merit..

However, I don't think I'd trust the image you linked on a hollow door.

Maybe something more like this (yes, I changed the preference to black).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FWI76OC...v_ov_lig_dp_it

And even with this one I might have cut away and fill in the hollow part with solid wood where the latch connects...

Now I just need to find a good handle.

EDIT: This cylindrical one might be better:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IJQ391E...v_ov_lig_dp_it

And now I'm actually more concerned about reinforcing the handle being it's in the hollow door...

Last edited by petethebuilder; 09-26-19 at 02:27 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: