Schlage entry lockset removal?

Old 03-22-20, 10:45 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Schlage entry lockset removal?

Hi: The lockset on our front door stopped functioning. Depressing the thumb-piece on the outside of the door is not working. The bolt will not retract.
On the inside, the handle just "flops" around like it is no longer connected.
I've tried to remove the lockset cylinder, but cannot get the interior portion to separate from the exterior portion. I can only remove the interior handle (photo 2) which doesn't help.
I've installed/replaced at least 100 locksets over the years, but never have encountered this.
What am I missing?

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-20, 11:39 AM
M
Received 156 Votes on 143 Posts
Did you remove the screw from the inside which holds the outside handle on at the bottom of the handle?

See below.
https://www.schlage.com/content/dam/...-782-0310b.pdf

Old 03-22-20, 02:04 PM
R
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Not sure, but it appears they're making these differently nowadays...in the older (20 years ago, Schlage F series handlesets) locks, the lever and rosette were stamped together as a unit, and removing the 2 screws allowed the assembly to slide off the square spindle. In your photo, it appears the lever is held onto the spindle collar with a retaining tab, just like Grade 1 and 2 locks typically are. So did you remove the lever by depressing the tab with a poke tool? If that's the case, you'll also have to depress it again to allow the rosette to come off. Of course, the rosette may be stuck to the door from old paint/varnish or whatever, so a gentle prying may be necessary.

If the lock has suddenly quit working, like something internal has broken, the assembly may not come off easily...especially if the center square spindle has been twisted.

Old 03-22-20, 02:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
Did you remove the decorative cap to expose the screw that holds the bottom half of the handle? Pushing in and out on the latch (on tte edge of the door) with one hand while trying to operate the door with your other hand will sometimes free up the spindle so that you can separate the two halves.

The latch looks broken to me. The half moon security part of the latch is gone.

Old 03-24-20, 09:51 PM
R
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
There's no key on the outside, (probably a deadbolt above), so this is a simple spring latch handleset....OP has pried off the finish latchplate, which would be stamped in a "D" shape, since there's no deadlocking pin. The lower screw cover unscrews, I think. OP probably figured it out by now.