old school doorknob

Old 05-08-20, 12:08 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
old school doorknob

Getting ready to try to take out this old-school doorknob. I have a release pin to stick in the hole in the back of the one knob but then not so sure what I might encounter next, screws I would hope/guess. I think these can be somewhat complicating/baffling when it comes to takin' em out, especially for me. Any tips/comments/suggestions before I have at it appreciated.

Old 05-08-20, 12:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
Once you have the handle off you will need to pop the rose plate off the door. A thin putty knife works well. Occasionally they will be glued on by the paint. Under that rose will be the screws that hold the opposite doorknob on.

Old 05-08-20, 12:37 PM
Okay thanks XSleeper. So, should be that straightforward? Hope so, that would be great.

Old 05-08-20, 03:43 PM
The rose, despite my loosening it from the paint with a thin putty knife, and being able to turn it around and around freely, does not want to pull out/off. I gave quite a bit of encouragement with prying behind it with thin screwdriver and putty knife and even grabbed it with big channel locks pliers and tried turning it and pulling on it at the same time, but that rose remains stubbornly in place just does not want to slide out/off. Any further comment/advice appreciated. Must be some trick to it, I hate to try to force it so hard I cause damage or make things worse.

Edit: On the opposite side knob, I didn't realize it until now but it also has a hole I can push my release pin tool into to try to release that knob. But I've been pushing my pin in there like crazy, but it doesn't seem to be pushing/releasing anything, it just goes in there and stays solid it won't push in. So, need any helpful comments on all this please. Seem to be stuck.

Last edited by sgull; 05-08-20 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-08-20, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
It's possible that the rose unscrews on those. Lefty loosey. And the pin should be identical to the other side. You're pushing in the tab that's in your first photo, if you can feel it. A bit tricky sometimes to pull the knob while pushing the pin. I'm sure you will get it.

Old 05-08-20, 04:57 PM
The first rose I finally got off with a lot of prying/pulling. It was pretty tight around that cylindrical shaft or whatever they call it, been on that bronze or brass or whatever it is there like that for a good 50 years. Scratched it up some but oh well. Then behind that rose was no screws. That cylindrical shaft itself unscrews, it is fine-threaded onto the opposite side assembly. Then the whole business comes out; didn't have to pull the other knob off at all. Yup got it. thanks

Old 05-08-20, 05:53 PM
Group Moderator
Mmmm... Should have unscrewed the collar first... then the rose comes off.

Old 05-08-20, 06:14 PM
yeah, didn't end up being all that straightforward after all. The rose didn't just pop off. That's why I asked for help, these can be a little baffling for me. Oh well got it off like I wanted.

Old 05-08-20, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
I should have remembered that... those were the exact knobs our high school had when I worked there as part time janitor/maintenance man, but that was almost 40 yrs ago. But I remember it now thanks to you. Lol

Old 05-08-20, 08:35 PM
Yep they're "old-school", usually found in old-schools. That's what this one came off of, a door from an old school (community college) from the 1970's. I think they might be Corbin Russwind models but not sure.

Old 05-12-20, 08:22 PM
R
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
Late to the party again, I'll throw in 2 cents worth for future ref tho. It does appear to be a Corbin-Russwin (or Corbin or Russwin before they merged....Russwin itself was a merger of Russell and Erwin, many moons before that). Unfortunately the grade 1 and grade 2 in the ball knob design during this era look almost identical, but they are installed/removed quite differently. (A photo of the latch would show the difference, as the grade 1 is noticeably larger).

The grade1 is removed by using a spanner tool to unscrew the spindle collar as far as it will go, which allows the rose to back away from the door about 3/8". This gap allows a thin screwdriver to be inserted toward the interior mechanism and push a spring loaded retainer which allows the knob and spindle assembly (as a single unit) to be removed.

The grade 2 (which I think is yours) can be kind of tricky, because a long poke tool (like a large paperclip) must be inserted into the interior knob hole to push the retainer pin. It has to be lined up carefully to catch the pin. The problem is that on occasion, the outer rose was not adjusted properly for the door thickness when it was installed, and that would result in the inner retainer pin being just under the edge of the collar, where you can't access it with the paperclip. In this case, you have to try to unscrew the outer rose (not easy if its on tight, as the indexing tits will resist movement), and this will allow the inner spindle to emerge from under the collar so you can poke the retainer. Then the decorative rose cover is gently pried off, and a large screwdriver can be inserted in one of the slots in the rose to unscrew it, (if it wasn't already loose as result of loosening the outer rose)....whew!

ThisOldMan might chime in with his remembrances to confirm my memory; The Grade 1 Russwins & Corbins were one of the best locks made, lots of heavy precision machined brass and bronze....the Grade 2's tho were pretty mediocre, they were always coming loose, seems like.

Old 05-12-20, 08:42 PM
Thanks rstripe. Yes that is quite helpful for future reference, there are at least a few more of these same type I'll be wanting to remove. I did indeed have that trouble as you just described with being able to push in the pin in the other knob hole as described in my edit post #4.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: