Loose door knob on exterior door

Old 05-17-20, 07:36 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Loose door knob on exterior door

Good morning everyone,

I am having an issue with a loose door knob on my exterior door. On the outside of the house is a handle and on the inside is a round door knob. The round door knob is quite loose. I removed the round door knob and hoped to tighten something to make the spindle tighten but for the life of me I don't know what to do. Can anyone help me?

also, the lever on the handle outside is a little loose

Below is a picture of the inside of my door with the round door knob removed.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-20, 10:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 451 Votes on 413 Posts
If the 2 screws that you removed were tight, and the knob and lever are still loose, the handle and knob are probably shot due to being a low quality product.

Now that you have the round knob off, if you hold it in you hand and it wiggles on theshaft, its shot and will likely break in a few more days, weeks, or months. You should likely replace the entire thing.

Old 05-17-20, 10:51 AM
S
I’m not 100% sure what you mean. With the knob off, I can “wiggle” the shaft with my hand.

when I hold the round door knob in my hand, it does feel loose.

Old 05-17-20, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
Put it together. Tighten the screws. If anything is loose, its shot.

Old 05-17-20, 11:06 AM
S
Yes, the round door knob is still loose. I think it most likely from my kids hanging on it. Will I be ok to just replace the round door knob?

Old 05-17-20, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
They dont sell those parts individually. If you can find the same brand and type, you could buy a normal knob, use the interior half, and throw the exterior half away. Or replace the whole thing.

Old 05-17-20, 11:20 AM
S
I do recall we had some door issues 2 years ago and the locksmith at the time did tighten this door knob for us....do you know how he would have done it?

Old 05-18-20, 03:53 PM
R
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
If we could see a photo of what the inside of the knob looks like, we might have a clue.....but most residential grade knobs are bradded (or peened, or stamped) to the rosette, and when they get too loose from heavy use, just replace lock,, as others have said. Your photo shows a dual-backset latch adjustment, which has nothing to do with the problem, it just tells me it's not a terribly old lock..... On the latch edge, there should be a brand name, would be curious to know the brand, as some have a reputation for short life.

Old 05-18-20, 04:05 PM
R
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
And looking at your photo again, I notice you have a metal-clad door.....without indexing slots (as in your case) it's hard to keep a smooth rose tight on this type door; the metal-to-metal tends to slide around easy unless the tie screws are really tight, but you can't get them too tight or you'll deform something.....as others have said,tho, if the rose-to-door connection can be kept tight, but the knob-to-rose is really loose, the lock is shot.