jimmy proof lock won't open

Old 06-30-20, 05:43 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
jimmy proof lock won't open

Bought a house 8 months ago and the handle just decided to lock itself today. I do not have a key to it as it has not worked in sometime. We use the dead bolt to keep it shut. Does anyone know how i can fix this or do I just need to call a locksmith?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-20, 04:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 491 Votes on 452 Posts
1. I would drill out the lock core and open up the body of the lock which will obviously destroy the lock. Once inside you have access to the mechanical linkage and can retract the locking bolts.

2. If you know how to pick a lock or want to learn here's a practical excuse to practice.

3. Call a locksmith.

Old 07-02-20, 09:25 AM
R
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Ideal Security stopped making those many years ago, and unfortunately I think it had it's own special door prep, so it's unlikely you'll find an exact replacement in another brand, altho Yale and Segal make jimmy proof rim locks very similar. The keyway is a common Yale 8 (Y-1) so a locksmith can impression a key to it, or pick it and remove it to make a key, but but even with a key, do you know if it works properly? Your best bet is to call a smithy, and if he's been in business a while, he'll sigh when you tell him it's an old Ideal Security jimmy proof rim lock.

Old 07-02-20, 06:44 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
I'd be getting out the drill like Dane's 1st suggestion.