Old doors with old locks.

Old 07-07-20, 05:09 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old doors with old locks.

Hello all! Hope all is well!
Door hardware newbie here.

So my house came with these really old door handles which also has a lock on it.
There was an incident when someone in the room couldn't get out because the old handle / lock got stuck and wouldn't open the door. We had to wiggle the knob to open it. So we decided that we are removing all of them so that we won't have a similar incident.

Can someone please tell me how i can fill in the holes that had the door hardware in them?
Can i use insulation foam since it is cheaper, paintable and easy to trim off any excess? Foam also keeps the hole open incase we want to install a similar handle lock later.

Thank you for your reply!!

Old 07-11-20, 04:27 PM
R
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
Wood putty comes to mind, but I'm not a carpenter, so others may have better ideas.
I should point out that replacement mortise locks are still available that fit these old cutouts.....I think Taylor and Ilco still make cheap replacements. The only critical measurement you need is the height of the edge cutout, which for US interior doors was pretty much standard, (that for exterior doors being larger).

Old 07-11-20, 04:50 PM
T
Received 14 Votes on 13 Posts
Check your big-box stores. They should have complete mortise locks/latches with trim in the $15 to $25 ballpark. Measure the size of the plate on the edge of the door to make sure the new lock isn't too small. Recommend new trim plates and knobs.
Wood putty is great for filling small holes, but not for what you would be trying to do. Hammer, appropriate size wood chisel, screw driver, box cutter and a round wood rasp should be all the tools you would need.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: