Need a new safe - Suggestions?

Old 07-09-20, 02:50 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 160 Votes on 142 Posts
Need a new safe - Suggestions?

I'm in the market for a medium-sized, fireproof safe. I have an older version of this Sentry one. One of the hinges snapped off, and despite some JB weld, I'm tired of the door falling off every time I open the safe.

Does anyone have suggestions for a similarly sized fireproof safe for a somewhat reasonable cost?

I was looking at this Sentry SFW123GDC 1.23 cu ft one. Some good reviews, some bad.
I like the digital keypad, but it's just another set of batteries to replace.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Old 07-09-20, 02:55 PM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
One of the hinges snapped off, and despite some JB weld, I'm tired of the door falling off every time I open the safe.
If that were mine Id be on the phone to customer service *****ing up a storm for a replacement!

Old 07-09-20, 04:13 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
You've gotta love a safe who's door falls off.

I've looked at a few different brands of safes and in the economy range I can't say one seemed better than the others. None are great at security so I wouldn't store guns or valuables but they are probably good enough for fire protection of important documents. I would compare the different models and see which has the best features that are important to you.

For me I'd first be looking at its' fire rating. Those with a longer survival at high temperature would make it through the first cut. Then I'd look for features like a door seal that swells during a fire to seal the safe. I would pick one with a mechanical lock. Things like keypads or fingerprint readers and their required batteries are too unreliable. I've had to resort to the key after I've spent the day working in the garden scuffing my fingerprints.

Old 07-10-20, 03:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I have a safe about that size that I bought 20+ yrs ago. If I remember correctly I paid about half that price. While the quality seems to be decent and I've had no issues with it what shocked me was in the paper work where it said if your house catches on fire you are supposed to direct the firemen to keep a constant stream of water on that section of the house to protect the contents of the safe.

Mine has the rotary dial - no keypad. Not sure I'd care for one that requires batteries.

Old 07-10-20, 03:26 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 160 Votes on 142 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I can't really justify a serious ($1K+) safe, so probably a cheaper one is all that's needed.

Marq - I checked, limited 1-year warranty. It seems that the hinges are spot-welded on, and over time they rusted a bit despite not being in an overly humid environment.

I won't overthink it then, thanks for the feedback!

Old 07-11-20, 06:27 AM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
I checked, limited 1-year warranty.
Dont let that stop you from making a call, If I get something that does not live up to expectations I get on the phone and let them know. Id say 95% of the time they work with you.

A hinge breaking off a safe is definitely not something anybody would anticipate, warranty or not!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: