Keypad deadbolts...I don't understand the point when.....

Old 10-02-20, 09:32 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Keypad deadbolts...I don't understand the point when.....

....what do people do when the lower doorknob has a keyed lock as well?

Do people just forego the lower lock or just stop using it or use the keypad and a key on the bottom?

Seems to defeat the purpose. I have several entry points into the house with said configuration and based on that not sure if a keypad deadbolt makes sense.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-20, 05:52 AM
Received 255 Votes on 229 Posts
I think it depends on your sense of security. If it was my wife, she would use 10 locks on the door.
Electronic locks can be compromised just as a key lock can.
If it was me I would not use the key lock. Not that the electronic is any better, but because what's the point of electronic if I need to have a key anyways.
The only question I have is what happens when the battery runs low on those electronic locks. Is there a work around to open?

edit...Once nice thing about a key lock, is that it's one less number I need to remember.

Old 10-03-20, 12:58 PM
R
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
It just gives you more flexibility, is all....most keypad locks let you program several user codes, and you can easily delete or add codes, without having to call a locksmith to re-key a lock. Or you can give your kids a code, because they'd just loose the key. And most have a key override in case the battery fails.

Old 10-04-20, 09:27 AM
J
Thanks for this. So the typical person who has a keyed lower handle would just leave that part unlocked?

Just want to make sure that I am tracking. It just seems strange to me.

I appreciate the confirmation.

Old 10-04-20, 01:34 PM
R
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Some do, some don't........just realize the deadbolt gives you much more security than the knob lock, so always use that.

Old 10-04-20, 07:26 PM
J
Interesting. Worth thinking about I guess.

Thanks!

Old 10-04-20, 10:37 PM
Received 394 Votes on 368 Posts
With our exterior doors, the electronic dead bolt is the only lock!

Old 10-05-20, 12:11 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
I agree with Marq. On our main entry door, it has a keypad deadbolt lock and just a standard passage-handle for the door handle. Don't need to worry about forgetting keys.

From a security standpoint, the old saying, locks keep honest people honest!

Old 10-05-20, 12:53 PM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
We have a Schlage electronic deadbolt and just a passage set for the lower latch. I went with a Schlage because it has the option of using a key from the outside if the battery goes dead and has an outside thumbturn to retract the bolt, rather than an electronic bolt retractor, in case the bolt starts binding and the electronics can't overcome it.

We bought it because my wife's mom who lives with us has a "I've fallen and I can't get up" button and the paramedics have to be able to get in if we aren't home. Already saved a door broken down once! I agree that locks only keep honest people honest.

Last edited by Bruce H; 10-05-20 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-21-20, 09:33 AM
C
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
Ultraloq has a combo where the deadbolt unlocks with your fingerprint being read on the door handle. I did not buy that version. I bought their lever doorlock and leave the old deadbolt unlocked during day just locking it at night. I could buy a second smart deadbolt but have not yet.