Change the handing of an old dexter latch

Old 11-04-20, 09:26 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Change the handing of an old dexter latch

Hi. I am hoping someone knows whether this older dexter mechanism can be changed so the lock button is on the other side. The part sticking out unscrews from the latch body (so you can pass the latch through the edge of the door) and is the lock button that you press to lock the knob from rotating. I don't think the latch face is peened into place--seems like it has a seam about which it will rotate. There are two square openings on opposite sides of the body (on the body near the seam with the latch face--left of center in the photo), so it seems like the pin I see in there should release and the opening on the other side is to release it when it has the other handing. But I don't know how to do it. See two photos below. Thanks.

Old 11-04-20, 01:22 PM
R
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
Wow, that one is before my time, so I'm just guessing here, but it appears the button is on the latch centerline, so can't you just reverse the whole latch so the button is on the other side?

Old 11-04-20, 03:36 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I think you are right that the whole thing can simply be flipped. My issue is I want the flat part on the latch (that engages the strike plate) to change orientation. So if I just flip the whole thing, it won't work because the flat part will just hit the door jamb and not retract into the strike plate.

Old 11-04-20, 06:00 PM
T
Received 14 Votes on 13 Posts
Instead of the door opening into a room, you want it to open outward? If that's the case, you want the reverse the bevel of the latch, not change the hand. Probably 40 years since I last touched one, but I'm 99.998% sure what you want is not possible.

Old 11-04-20, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
I'd be curious to know what the opposite side of the latch looks like.

Old 11-05-20, 06:57 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
the flat part will just hit the door jamb and not retract into the strike plate.
I believe you will need to flip the strike plate.

Old 11-05-20, 09:23 AM
R
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
You are correct, I had a brain fart.....so did you determine that the button that screws into the latch tube cannot be screwed in from the other side? If not, I think you're out of luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: