Rear Security screen door in NYC

Old 12-15-20, 08:07 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rear Security screen door in NYC

Folks - we need a new exterior door and a security screen door too. In summer months, we like to let the fresh air in but one thing I don't understand is how do I secure a security screen door? It's at the back of the house so can't somebody quite easily cut the mesh on the screen and get to the handle? Is there something innovative people do? Honestly we'll be using it 6 hours a day minimum so need to feel secure even if we are at the front of the house

Thanks

Old 12-15-20, 08:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,532 Votes on 1,415 Posts
A screen door can't be a security door. You'd have to have bars up outside of it.

Old 12-16-20, 05:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 914 Votes on 841 Posts
I've never seen a security screen door where the insect screen is the only security. I have seen plenty of doors with iron bars or steel mesh that also have insect screen but none where insect screening was the only barrier.

I've done my screened porch with stainless steel "security" screen. I used .023 stainless steel mesh powder coated black. It is sold as a security screen and you will likely have to special order it. It looks like a slightly coarse insect screen but it's a totally different monster in cost, strength and installation. I don't think you will find a screen door off the shelf made with it so it would have to be custom. When I tested it it does work very well security wise. We lovingly refer to it as being dinosaur resistant. You can't cut it with a knife, push or kick it out and it's fine enough to keep out most insects though not as well as finer no-see-um screen.

Old 12-16-20, 06:44 AM
Received 357 Votes on 322 Posts
Even with the mesh that PD is referring to, a storm/screen door will never be or never was a security door. A typical storm door can easily be ripped off if the intent is to get in. My suggestion is to install one of those storm/screen doors with the hid-a-way or self storing screen that slide from the top. Then install a very loud alarm if the door is breached.

Old 12-16-20, 07:03 AM
H
Received 162 Votes on 143 Posts
The solution I've seen in Philly restaurants / groceries rear loading / kitchen access is a mesh security door

or a diamond gate

with a magnetic self-closing bug-screen

Norm201 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: