Front door garbage?

Old 12-25-20, 02:37 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Front door garbage?

Can anyone tell me if this is fixable or if we will need to get the front door replaced? We had an unwelcome visitor attempt to enter our home on Christmas Day

Old 12-25-20, 03:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 753 Upvotes on 658 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
While it should be replaced you can glue, nail and clamp [until the glue sets] to put it back together.

Old 12-25-20, 04:00 AM
Received 674 Upvotes on 597 Posts
Sorry your Christmas was ushered in in such a poor manner. But yes as MARKSR said it could be "fixed". I would do as suggested for now and when weather gets better, replace. Deductible not withstanding, insurance should cover most of the cost.

Old 12-25-20, 04:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,840 Upvotes on 1,647 Posts
That's a simple fix. Use a high quality wood glue or Gorilla Glue. Use a scrap of wood, piece of wire or small brush to coat the wood as deep as possible. If you are in a warm climate you can use several clamps to hold everything together while the glue dries. If it's too cold to go a day with the door open you use small nails/brads or screws to pull everything together. Make sure not to have any screw heads in the door jamb seal area so the door can close. Also, screws may be difficult to remove after the glue has hardened but the heads can be ground off with a Dremel tool and grinding bit. Touch the metal screw studs and nail heads with some oil based primer then you can repaint the door with regular latex and the repair will almost disappear.

Old 12-25-20, 06:03 AM
Received 674 Upvotes on 597 Posts
The only problem with a fix is that the door is compromised. And weather and use will only degrade the fix eventually. And it another break in happens it won't be as strong. However you could buy a metal plate on either side that are made for that purpose.

Old 12-25-20, 08:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,480 Upvotes on 3,125 Posts
Welcome to the forums from down under.

A crappy way to usher in a holiday.

I use several of the escutcheon plates Norm mentioned. They work great on wood doors.
They come stainless steel and brass.

Old 12-25-20, 09:31 AM
Received 1,137 Upvotes on 1,031 Posts
Just realize any type of wood door really isn't secure, if it's not the door it's the frame that will give with a good kick.

I looked into a security doors for the last house we built, quite pricey. Then you realize you have 2 or three exterior doors, then garage doors, then windows, where do you stop!

As they say, locks are for honest people!

Old 12-25-20, 10:41 AM
Z
Insurance? Would people really go to insurance for this? I just raised my deductible to $5000....up from $2000.
even if my deductible was $500, I think Id leave insurance out of it. Just another reason to jack your premiums cause you live in theft-prone area.

Old 12-25-20, 02:03 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Thankyou everyone for your responses! We will be heading to Bunnings today for some glue and clamps. I hope everyone had a very merry Christmas 😊

Old 12-26-20, 06:10 PM
R
Received 38 Upvotes on 35 Posts
A kicked-in wood door usually results in the strike plate and frame giving way, Here, the weakest link was the door itself, and I suspect, by the way it failed, it was not manufactured correctly to begin with. As others have suggested, glue it, clamp it, then install one of the wrap-around sleeves as shown by pjmax......the company is "Don Jo" .....look them up online, they have a large selection. The result will be a stronger door than even a correctly-built door. The weak link will then be your frame.....secure the strike plate with screws long enough to bite into the wall stud.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: