Help: Problem with front door mechanism

Old 01-11-21, 07:47 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Help: Problem with front door mechanism

Hi,

For the past few months, I've noticed that my front door latch didn't always return to its "full out" position, making my front door not stay closed. After some investigation, I noticed that if I turn the knob left, it returns to its initial position. However, if I turn the knob right, the latch stays recoiled.

I'd like to post a short demo video but I don't think I can here?

I inspected the knob and it's spring (blue arrow above) at the back and it seems in working order.

After dismounting the outdoor part of the handle (see above), I could see that the problem seemed to be related to the white plastic part (arrow in red below) that wasn't moving up and down smoothly (or at all, actually).

I didn't try dismantling the c-clip (green arrow) on that mechanism, but I tried adding some lube (Jig-a-loo) and it seemed to help make the white plastic move smoothly. But after I reassembled everything, although the situation was a bit better, the problem was still present.

1- Should I dismantle the c-clip on the outdoor mechanism to clean (the old grease it seems) and lube again?
2- Which lube should I use? WD-40? Jig-a-loo? Oil?
3- Is there a "spring" that I can change in that exterior mechanism?
4- Can I just change the exterior mechanism and not the whole door handle?

Other suggestions?

Thanks

Old 01-12-21, 06:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 755 Votes on 694 Posts
You can hose the mechanism with lubricant. I've had good luck with WD-40. I spray it heavily then stand it up to drain. Not only does it lubricate the mechanism but it also flushes out dirt and debris. Or you can replace the lock/door knob.

Old 01-12-21, 06:55 AM
Received 292 Votes on 262 Posts
I had a similar problem with my front door. I use to lubricate it myself. But this last time I took it to my neighborhood locksmith. I don't know what lubricant he used, but it works like new. I told him I was willing buy a new lock. He said nothing wrong with what I have.

Old 01-12-21, 03:09 PM
C
Thank you for taking the time to reply - really appreciated. In light of what you both told me, I decided to remove the circlip and inspect the mechanism.

Turns out, there is a lot of old lubricant that has now become sticky. See pictures below. My plan is to use a degreaser to completely remove the old stff, and start fresh. the parts, including the spring, seem in reasonable shape. I suspect that simply using WD40 will not sustain it for another 10 years though. I probably need to take something more robust. I may still have old waterproof grease for my Sea-Doo's shaft... maybe that could work (?).

Alternatively, do you have a resistant grease to recommend?

The locksmith I called told me I could buy this part for 25CAD. It is from a Weiser lock/handle. He said that the plastic part eventually wears from the rubbing on the metal... but I feel like it should be fine with just lubricant.

Old 01-12-21, 03:51 PM
P
Group Moderator
Now that your inside proper you might as well give it a good cleaning and proper lube. I'd try your ski grease. It's probably up to the task but I don't know if the viscosity will be too high but if you've got it I'd try it. Next I might want to try a light spray lithium grease or maybe a silicone & Teflon grease like Super Lube.

Old 01-12-21, 04:39 PM
R
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
I'll second the motion for a light lithium grease, and don't forget to inspect the latch, it could probably use a shot of penetrating oil (not WD40). I've been told that Weiser is fairly popular in parts of Canada, and if it's the same Weiser that used to be popular here in the States, it was known for low cost but not high quality hardware. Of course, like all hardware, if well maintained, and not abused, you can expect many years of service.

Old 01-12-21, 09:12 PM
C
Thank you for your replies.

I use my bike chain degreaser to clean all the parts. See here:

Then I reassembled everything and just used some oily lubricant (something I inherited in a weird metal container. That thing is probably 40 years old... and what comes out of it looks like motor oil) on the part to see if it had improved.

I looked great, but after reinstalling it on the door, the problem is still present. It could be the lube.. but I think it may be the 2 springs in the above picture that are not doing their job.

I'll visit a locksmith to see if he sells that mechanism (a return spring apparently) alone. If not, I'll try one of the lubricant that was recommended here.

Thanks again.

Old 01-13-21, 06:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
If you loosen the mounting screws does the latch work then? If so it could indicate that it's mechanically binding.

Old 01-13-21, 06:55 PM
C
I went to the locksmith - the same one that said (over the phone) that the mechanism couldn't be cleaned and should be replaced and he was very impressed at the cleaning job I did. He confirmed that everything should be working properly. He did add some lubricant the the latch itself, and that did the trick.

Everything it back to normal. I love it when I'm able to repair something that isn't mechanically damaged but just need a little bit of love .

Thanks for all the input.

Old 01-14-21, 06:46 AM
Received 292 Votes on 262 Posts
I don't what the lubricant they use is called, but it seems to work really well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: