Removing exterior/lock handle on security door

Old 06-09-21, 11:00 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing exterior/lock handle on security door

The exterior side of the handle is loose. I was able to remove the handle from the interior side but I canít get the knob off on the exterior side to access the nut to tight shaft to the flange that goes against the door.

do I need to physically unlock the handle - with key - for the handle to come off the shaft? I tried depressing the pin like on the other side but itís not coming off.

this is a electronic door so the key is never used to access the restroom, people use a key fob to gain access.

Old 06-09-21, 03:33 PM
T
Received 26 Votes on 25 Posts
If you are talking about the entire lockset being loose on the door, that tightening is usually done from the inside.

With the inside lever removed, check around the perimeter of the cover plate sitting on the door. You should find an are where you can use a small flat screwdriver to pry the cover plate loose. That should give you access needed to tighten the lockset on the door.

Please post back, letting us know whether or not this helped resolve your problem.

Old 06-11-21, 07:14 PM
R
Received 13 Votes on 12 Posts
That's an older version of Schlage's ND lock. It takes a special tool to tighten the ring nut. So you got the inside lever off. Then you grasp the inside rose cover and twist CCW, It should turn about 15-20 degrees then slide off. If you can't get it to budge, just pry it off (gently). At this point you should see a Philips screw at 12 & 6 o'clock. They may be snug/tight If not, tighten. Now grab the outer lever and wiggle in & out to see if the lock body is still loose. It probably is, because this is what typically gets loose on this model. The body is held tight with a "ring nut". Look closely, following the inside spindle where it disappears under the rose, you'll see the ring nut: It has 4 little slots around it's edge. There's a special tool resembling a hollow pipe that slides over the spindle, and has 4 tits on it's end that engage the 4 slots that then allow you to tighten the nut. Without the tool you'll have to use a small screwdriver and "drift" the nut tight. The back side of the nut (not visible) is serrated, and matched serrations on the lock body, so that when tight, the serrations resist loosening.

What happens, is that installers will tighten the ring nut first, then the Philips screws, which then allows the ring nut to become loose. The proper way is to tighten the Philips screws very snug first, then get the ring nut as tight as you can (with the tool), then back off the Philips screws a tad. This places a good lock/engagement on the ring serrations, and it won't come loose.

Old 06-11-21, 07:22 PM
R
If the lock has been loose for some time, the outer ring nut may have loosened too. So after tightening the inside (previous post) be sure to push the latch in & out with your finger, and check general operation to make sure it operates smoothly. If it hangs, it could be that the lock body needs to be re-centered in the cavity. The lock would have to be removed and the outer ring adjusted, then re-assembled. These are a pain in the butt, fortunately the newer ND locks don't have those ring nuts.

Old 06-11-21, 07:32 PM
R
This question has been asked before. Search "Removal of Schlage Commercial bathroom door lever".
They posted photos, and the explanation I gave back then might be clearer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: