mobile home interior door

Old 04-21-22, 10:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
mobile home interior door

Had to replace the lockset on my stepson's bed rm door. The lockset I bought says its
for 1 3/8" to 1 3/4" The doors in the MH are only 1.25" thick I assume it will be ok, I had a bear of a time cutting out for the latch [previously had a round one] The door is so thin that I had to cut/chisel into the door's veneer to get the latch to fit

Old 04-21-22, 11:17 AM
Received 399 Upvotes on 348 Posts
Mobile homes/trailers are built to an entirely different set of standards than normal construction. As you found out doors are thinner, as is wall paneling, etc. Even electrical can be different with self contained modular outlets that do not have back boxes. You might Google to find a source for mobile home specialty items.

Old 04-21-22, 11:22 AM
T
Received 213 Upvotes on 187 Posts
Locks, like everything else in a mobile home, are a pain. About the only place to find locks and latches to fit doors that thin is a mobile home parts distributor (Just so you know, I looked at several on-line and did not see anything but common hardware store locks). At least one on-line distributor said doors in mobile homes are "standard doors". Really? Whose standard?
The stiles and rails in you door are probably about 1" thick with the veneers making up the difference, Tough install for anyone.

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 04-21-22, 11:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've worked on MH doors before but never any that were this thin. I was about to think I wouldn't be able to mortise the latch in. I've never had to resort to a MH supplier for lockets but might have to if he has any more go bad. I also replaced a receptacle while I was. He said the bottom half didn't work - no wonder, it was broke in two

Old 04-21-22, 09:08 PM
R
Received 48 Upvotes on 45 Posts
No experience installing these locks, but have seen some passage sets made entirely of plastic, including the drive-in latch (tho surely it uses a metal coil spring to bias the latch)..... so-called "drive-in" latches are common, and the hole diameter would probably be 7/8". Since these are drive-in latches, there's probably no brand name stamped anywhere. Agree with previous comments, best bet is MH suppliers.

Old 04-22-22, 02:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I owned a MH 40 yrs ago that had those plastic locksets. I don't remember if all were problematic or just some but I swapped them all out for conventional locks from a hardware store. I've always known that MH doors were thinner but never ran across any this thin before.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: