Schlage FB50N entry door lock: how to change right to left handed door.

Old 06-02-22, 02:02 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Schlage FB50N entry door lock: how to change right to left handed door.

I am installing entry door locks with keyed Schlage FB50N (V PLY 622) locks. The right handed door lock installed fine. For my left handed doors I am unable to reverse the lock and unlock positions, while keeping the attachment screws on the interior side. I must turn the key to 9 o’clock position to unlock and to 3 o’clock to lock, the opposite of “normal”.

I tried to reverse the indoor and outdoor knobs. It places the know with visible screws to the exterior side (not okay). Schlage customer service person said “F keyed entry locks’ lock/unlock orientation cannot be altered. The factory 90 degree turns to lock & unlock will be the same no matter the door handing”. Does this mean they only work on left handed doors?

I would like to reverse the current lock and unlock settings. Is this possible? Do I need a locksmith? What are the steps to do this?

If it’s not possible, I’d like to know what Schlage entryway lock is made for doors that have the lock on the right side of the door (left handed) when approaching from outside, please.

Thank you!

Interior know with visible screws

Exterior keyed entry

Old 06-02-22, 05:07 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,289 Upvotes on 1,227 Posts
This is normal in that you're turning the key away from the latch to unlock and toward to lock it.

Old 06-03-22, 12:04 AM
Received 1,211 Upvotes on 1,099 Posts
  • Non handed and field reversible which means this knob set can be installed on right and left handed doors.
Unlike a true exterior handle set where the cylinder is reversible these are not but I'm not sure what they mean by field reversible?

Old 06-03-22, 06:53 AM
Received 1,211 Upvotes on 1,099 Posts
I remember now, the handles can be removed via a small sping clip at the base and swapped so that resolves the hand question.

Old 06-03-22, 08:39 AM
T
Received 214 Upvotes on 188 Posts
If rhe device in your pictures is the one you are installing, the installation sheet should show you how to change the hand.

Old 06-03-22, 08:54 PM
R
Received 48 Upvotes on 45 Posts
AFAIK, there are no manufacturers of residential cylindrical locks that allow you to reverse the direction you turn the key to lock/unlock. (This is not the case with deadbolts). It's just the nature of the beast. The Schlage "A" series will allow you to unlock by turning key in either direction, but you can't lock it with the key, and I'm assuming you want the "F" series function of unlocking and locking with the key.

The knob is removable so you can re-orient it with the key bitting (the serrated edge) always pointing up, but that of course, does not reverse the direction you turn the key to lock/unlock.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: