Kwikset Outside Latch is Partially Stuck

Old 11-27-22, 11:17 PM
S
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Kwikset Outside Latch is Partially Stuck

The deadbolt is fine, no issue with that. When I turn the door handle either counter clockwise or clockwise from the inside, the latch fully or almost fully retracts into the door as it should. When I press the thumb lever to retract the latch from the outside, the latch only retracts about 75% of the way into the door and makes opening the door difficult. How do I fix this?

My speculation: Most youtube videos that I have seen start by removing the two screws next to the latch located on the side of the door. As you can see from photos below, I don't have that. I see a hole for an allen wrench that can probably be used to remove door handle from the inside. I think I see a small indent on the bottom of the faceplate below the door handle on the inside that can (I'm guessing) be used to remove the faceplace and then I suspect that there will probably be some screws that I can remove to access the latch. At that point, any guesses on how to repair the latch mechanism?

Old 11-30-22, 12:54 PM
R
Received 37 Upvotes on 34 Posts
If the inside lever retracts the latch ok, but the thumb-press does not, it may be a problem with the thumb-press mechanism, rather than the latch. A new latch may or may not solve the problem. See if the latch itself is worn or is binding first. (From your pic, it appears to be slightly bent, as from slamming door too hard. Once bent, they're difficult to bend back without further damage. Another pic shows a rather wide gap between strike plate and door edge. The wider this gap, the less the latch will tolerate slamming without getting bent). With your finger, see if the latch can be pressed in smoothly, with no tendency to bind up at the 75% point. Confirm with inside lever, noting full retraction, smoothly. If binding occurs in either case, replace. But if no binding can be detected, you'll need to see why the thumb-press is failing. Many times the gear train just needs to be re-lubed. (And no, WD40 is not a lube).

Handlesets have been made for over 100 years, and the thumb-press has always been their Achilles heel. On the inside, a knob or lever, operated by one's entire hand, only needs to convert a wide rotary motion to a short linear motion one time. But from the outside, one's thumb strength, through a rather short arc, must convert a short linear motion to a rotary motion, then back to a linear motion again, a loss of efficiency. For things to work smoothly, care must be taken to see that the latch doesn't bind in the strike plate, or hasn't been bent from slamming.

sdodder, SlyMcGill, XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 01-23-23, 11:11 PM
S
I bought the Lowes universal latch and that fixed my problem. I checked the handle and after taking it apart, I could see that the thumb lever was working fine. When I pushed it down, I could see that it moved a slider inside the latch as far as it was designed to move. The universal adjustable latch has two levers. One or both levers get pressed by the interior lever depending on which way it is turned, but the outside thumb lever only presses up against one of the levers on the adjustable latch. I could see that when the thumb lever was pressed all the way, that the adjustable latch was not retracting the latch all the way. I took it out, pressed up against it with a screw driver and still could see that it was not retracting the latch all the way even though I was pressing down as far as possible with the screw driver. So I knew I needed a replacement latch. I bought it at Lowes and it installed easily. Not sure why Home Depot did not carry it. Seems like it would be a popular part. Anyhow, easy fix. Thanks everyone for the help.

rstripe, ThisOldMan voted this post useful.
Old 11-28-22, 05:06 AM
T
Received 141 Upvotes on 123 Posts
You have a drive-in latchbolt that is probably worn. Do a web search for Kwikset lever removal and you should find a YouTube video on removing a knob with no visible screws. First remove the screw several inches below the lever then follow the video instructions. That should get your lever removed.

Be sure to hold the outside handle when totaling the inside platr.

Pur a screwdriver thru the screwhole in the latchbolt, grab the screwdriver on the inside and outside and pull sharply. Voila!

replacement latchbolts are often packaged as a drive-in with a rectangular front that cab be added for a conventional installation..

Push the new latchbolt in place taking care to get the projecting flat surface vertical. If it doest fully seat, place a block of wood on the latchbolt and seat it with a hammer. Never use a hammer directly on the latchbolt.

let us know what does, or doesn't, work. ​

Old 11-28-22, 11:08 AM
S
Thanks for the help. After watching a couple youtube videos, I feel comfortable taking the latch apart. The problem is I don't know what replacement latch that I need. Home Depot doesn't even seem to carry them, and Lowes only has 2 Quikset replacement drive-in latch products. One is here:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kwikset-Adj...Brass/50102476

I went to Kwikset's website and I think I have a Hawthorn handle:

https://www.kwikset.com/products/det...00hexcn-15-smt

(Deadbolt and outside handle are different)

But it's not clear from that what replacement latch part I need. Will the Lowes part above work for my door and handle? It would be in their best interest to make the latch as universal as possible, but not sure if it's one size fits all.

Old 11-28-22, 12:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,648 Upvotes on 1,476 Posts
The Lowes latch you linked to will work fine. This is a 5 minute job. Pop the handle and rose off the interior side of your handle, pop the screw cover off the lower screw, unscrew screws, remove handle. Pop latch out, press new latch in, reassemble.

The latch has an adjustable back set, (2 3/8" or 2 3/4") so just be sure you have it set correctly. (Follow the instructions.)

Old 01-24-23, 06:59 AM
T
Received 141 Upvotes on 123 Posts
Thanks for posting the resolution to your problem SlyMcGill . In the future, that might help someone else!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: