Help me identify these interior locksets

Old 01-01-23, 08:04 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help me identify these interior locksets

My home is full of these and they are starting to break. I am having trouble finding a brand or type to replace them with. Any help is appreciated.

Old 01-01-23, 02:11 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
A brand name might not help much if it's been discontinued for decades. What parts do you need or what is breaking?

Your lock looks like a hybrid of a morticed and rim lock. Your latch and mechanism are offset, similar to a rim lock though not completely on the surface of the door. The door appears to be morticed to accept the lock. The knobs and shaft are probably readily available but you'll have to get more specific for other parts.

Matthew Bowser voted this post useful.
Old 01-01-23, 04:45 PM
R
Received 37 Upvotes on 34 Posts
Our posts "crossed in the mail"........I see you do have a Unit lock. when these break, there are no replacements AFAIK. You'll have to get a repair sleeve (look up "Don-Jo Company" so you can replace with a conventional cylindrical lock.

Old 01-02-23, 04:56 AM
T
Received 140 Upvotes on 122 Posts
I associate Presidential with the residential unit locks. But I don't remember whether it was a brand or a design. I was told the residential version became popular after WWII, offering quick and easy door prep and installation. But pot metal parts limited their lifespan (Yours must have been unusually good). The commercial versions were extremely durable.

Old 01-01-23, 04:39 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure of the parts name. The knob on the side with the mortise has a "half moon" shaped part that opens the door. When this part breaks off, the knob spins freely.

Old 01-01-23, 04:41 PM
R
Received 37 Upvotes on 34 Posts
Without a picture of the door's edge it's hard to tell, but they do look like what we call a "Unit" lock or "Mono" lock, depending on the brand. This is where the entire lock slides out from the door's slot, as a single "unit". They usually use a "Pullman" type latch. They are very rare in a residential setting, and you probably won't find replacements. On the other hand, if removing the lock reveals the more common crossbore and edge bore holes, you've got cylindrical locks, and these just have unusual-shaped escutcheons.

Need to see what the door prep. looks like, by removing a lock, and a view if the lock's edge. They look like pre-WWII,......if you look carefully on the lock's edge, where the latch comes out, there might be a brand name.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: