Loose "Inside Deadbolt "Knob"

Old 12-02-23, 10:03 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Loose "Inside Deadbolt "Knob"

Hi,
I'm hoping someone csn offer advice on a fix for this problem. The inside of my front door is locked with the knob of what I presume is a deadbolt. Lately I've noticed that there is a little extra "play" in the knob's movement. The bolt engages and disengages without issue; I am concerned about the loosening of the knob. I took some pictures to illustrate. I hope thiese pictures help.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-02-23, 11:19 AM
Received 716 Upvotes on 637 Posts
The internals are wearing out. Not uncommon and until it's really bad should be a problem. You could remove it and take it to a locksmith. But his fix may be as much as a new deadbolt. If it's only the knob that has play in it, I would just leave alone until it gets worse.

Old 12-02-23, 02:21 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much for the expert advice!

Old 12-02-23, 05:47 PM
T
Received 190 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I've been retired for some time and don't recognize the trim, but can offer some experience-based suggestions.

The possible sources I see are:
  • between the deadbolt thumbturn (inside upper "knob") and cylinder (outside where the key goes) tailpiece;
  • Between the tailpiece and the bolt hub
  • A combination of the above
  • The bolt itself.

The thumbturn is usually "white metal" and where the tailpiece enters the thumbturn can wallow out.

The hub of the bolt is usually made of the same material and has the same weakness.

I think you can remove the inside trim without dismounting the locks, and investige further.

Old 12-02-23, 10:19 PM
R
Received 44 Upvotes on 41 Posts
This looks like an Emtek brand.......better known for style (to compete with Baldwin, at a cheaper price) but not for mechanical integrity. Make sure the bolt doesn't bind in the strike plate; the bolt should operate with only the slightest resistance with the door open as well as closed. Binding will cause premature wear. I installed a few of these years ago, but I don't remember the linkage arrangement on the t-turn. As suggested by ThisOldMan, I'd take the trim off to see where the slop is happening. Looseness can also develop between the bolt hub cam and the bolt slider, which is usually of no consequence.

On most deadbolts, where the key cylinder is opposite the t-turn, a linkage goes from the t-turn, thru the bolt cam, then into the cylinder. This linkage (called the "tailpiece") is usually a flat bar, but on a few brands it's a square shaft, that would go into a square hole on the t-turn. A square hole is more likely to round off and fail compared to a slot for a flat bar. Emtek is kind of a "Johnny come lately" and I don't have much experience with the brand, so if you need a part, you might be able to deal direct with the manufacturer.

Old 12-03-23, 01:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
There is also slop in the latch itself to factor in. I don't think you need to worry about this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: