Dismantling an older Schlage doornob

Old 04-07-24, 05:34 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dismantling an older Schlage doornob

Hello all- I am trying to replace an Schlage doorknob (exterior, key is long gone) from about the 1960s. I managed to get the outer knob off, but that's about as far as I got. I cannot see how the latch mechanism comes apart from the inside knob's connection to it, and I'm stuck. I can provide pics if that will help. Thanks for any help you can lend.

Old 04-07-24, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,946 Upvotes on 1,746 Posts
Pics would probably be helpful.

CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.
Old 04-07-24, 10:09 PM
R
Received 46 Upvotes on 43 Posts
1960's had A, D & F series, they each had different methods to remove. D series was commercial/industrial so if this is a residence, probably eliminate that. If this is residential exterior, very likely A series (medium duty). Once the knob is removed by depressing the retainer tab, the rose (rosette) is popped off by simply prying near the wire retainer that is just barely visible, sometimes under the spindle. It may take some patience, as it could be painted over. Once the rose is off, the 2 screws underneath are removed, the inner retaining plate is removed, then the lock body is removed by pulling on the outer knob.

If this is commercial (D series) you need a spanner tool to unscrew the inner rose, tho channel-lock pliers will work in a pinch if you're careful. Unscrews CCW.

Old 04-08-24, 07:47 AM
I
Many thanks. I managed to do as you describe, i.e., get the inner knob and rose off (I mistakenly noted the outer knob in my OP), and got the screws off, but that is where I stalled. I cannot remove the door latch from the knob parts in the door, no matter what. I've pried, tugged, you name it and nothing budges. I have this feeling there is something I'm not seeing, but I cannot figure it out.I would say this is definitely residential, and unlike any knob assembly I've yet dealt with. If you could point me to any resource that might help (YT and the Schlage site have proven worthless), I'd be most grateful. I do not want to have to resort to brute force.

Old 04-09-24, 09:56 AM
T
Received 209 Upvotes on 183 Posts
The lock body slides out of the door. The outside rose may be "painted" to the door; run the tip of a knife held at a 45 degree angle around the rose. Then grab the outside knob and pull while "rocking" it a little up, down, left and right.

Like sitting in a really comfortable chair; after a while you don't want to get up. That lock has been in that door a while.

Old 04-09-24, 10:01 AM
I
Well, if by "lock body" you mean the latch that engages the strike plate on the jamb, nope, not coming out. I have removed the screws and two of us have tried to get it out to no avail. I cannot see how it sits in the mechanism in the door or how it may be removed (as is normal with the mechanisms of today). Both roses are off the door surface, but again, that's as much as I've been able to do. I'm about ready to take a metal saw blade to the thing an be done with it. Thanks for your suggestion.

Old 04-09-24, 01:42 PM
R
The "lock body" is the main assembly that sits inside the big round hole; The "latch" fits into a smaller hole bored into the edge of the door. The body interlocks with the latch when assembled. THE BODY MUST BE REMOVED BEFORE THE LATCH CAN BE REMOVED. It's not necessary to remove the outer knob & rose separately; they are attached to the main body, so by pulling the outer knob, the knob, rose and body come out as a unit. THEN you can remove the latch. As mentioned, if the outer rose has been painted over, you'll need to score around it with a blade.

The only other thing that may be hindering removal, is that some early Schlage A series used a "shutter" to prevent removal from the latch......It's not common, but it's a possibility. With the inside retaining plate removed (as you've indicated has been done) look at the edge of the big hole where the latch intersects with the body....If you can see a "T" shaped "tang" from the latch that mates with the "jaws" of the body, you probably don't have this shutter, OR the shutter is present, but not fully closed. The shutter would prevent you from seeing this engagement. The shutter, if present, has a small "tab" that allows you to grasp it with a small screwdriver, and rotate it out of the way, so you can slide the body out of the hole.

Other than this, a photo might help.

Old 04-09-24, 01:56 PM
R
I just checked my "stash" of old locks, and found a pre-1950's Schlage A series Wafer lock with this shutter feature. Must have been some sort of security feature....The shutter, when closed (thereby blocking lock removal) allows the tie screws to be inserted to secure the body. During lock removal, once the tie screws are removed and the inner retaining plate removed, the shutter can be rotated to it's open position.

Old 04-09-24, 02:12 PM
R
I don't know how to "link" the post, but this feature was described with good photos, on this website under the heading "Removal of old Schlage doorknob with lock" and posted on 2-20-22. Even I was unsure of it's operation back then, not having my "stash" lock in hand.

Old 04-09-24, 02:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,946 Upvotes on 1,746 Posts
Photos? What a great idea...

Link like this.

Old 04-09-24, 02:26 PM
R
Don't know if I'm allowed to reference a You Tube video, but I'll try. See Title "(111) Servicing an 80 year old Schlage A series wafer lock" The video clearly shows this shutter and it's operation.

Old 04-10-24, 01:46 AM
T
Received 209 Upvotes on 183 Posts
I think I may have worked on 1 or 2 of those 40-50 years ago. I'd completely forgotten about them. Keeps the latch from disconnecting if the screws loosened. Walter Schlage was quite ingenious!

Thanks for the video reference.

Old 04-10-24, 07:10 AM
I
So, I managed to find a vid on the Tube that leads me to believe what I have is a Type A knob. I watched the disassembly and it appears that once you have the screws out from the inside, the rest should just pull out from the outside. Then all that remains is removing the latch. I'll give it one more attempt and if successful, will report back.

Last edited by Interociter; 04-10-24 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-10-24, 09:08 AM
R
OK, but if your knob is pre 1960's it's likely it'll have the shutter......and won't "just pull out" without first opening the shutter. The referenced video clearly shows the operation. Good luck!

Old 04-10-24, 09:20 AM
I
Thanks for that reminder about the shutter. I managed to get an installation sheet on the Type A knobs from Schlage, which may help. I just have to remember that persistence and patience are key (pun intended).

Old 04-10-24, 07:40 PM
I
Well all, after reading all the good info here, getting a product sheet from Schlage, and watching a dozen YT vids, guess what the solution turned out to be.....

A good solid whack with a ball peen hammer. The stuck part came right out and the new one is in. Thanks again for all the assistance!

Old 04-11-24, 10:26 AM
R
Ha! Glad you got it! It's usually not good advice to say "just get a bigger hammer", but sometimes it's that simple! Thanks for sharing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: