Deadbolt knob position

Old 05-01-24, 08:44 PM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Deadbolt knob position

This is the locked position. I would like to change the knob position from vertical to horizontal. The long rod is D-shaped that doesn't seem to allow easy 90 degree rotation. Any advice? Thank you

Old 05-02-24, 05:16 AM
T
Received 209 Upvotes on 183 Posts
Sounds like a Kwikset. Don't try it unless you have replacement(s) in hand. Even if you are able to get a 90 twist in it while maintaing its shape, you've created a very significant weak spot.

Old 05-02-24, 05:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,949 Upvotes on 1,749 Posts
Give us a picture once you have removed the thumbturn.

Old 05-02-24, 10:35 AM
R
Received 46 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Kwikset has used a D shape for 50 years plus, but IIRC (I don't have one in my stash) the T turn was always horizontal when locked, so either they've changed it in recent models, or this isn't a Kwikset, but a clone that happens to configure the T-turn differently. Since the parts are generally stamped out to accept the given configuration, you can't reconfigure it, at least historically.

Old 05-02-24, 07:16 PM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Brand is Baldwin. Locked position. If Quickset looks just like this except the horizontal knob, please let me know.

Old 05-04-24, 10:44 AM
R
Received 46 Upvotes on 43 Posts
The photo shows the D shaped tailpiece very similar if not identical to Kwikset's. The location of the thru-bolts in relation to the tailpiece is very similar to most brands of modern "tubular" style deadbolts as sold in the USA, that work on this same principle of operation. I did a little digging in my stash of parts and came up with a replacement Kwikset bolt of what appears to be a recent vintage (Titan, which is a later Kwikset line) and it does indeed have the D shaped hole/tailpiece configured just like yours, so either this is a recent change by Kwikset, or my memory is bad and they were always like this. If you have a long-established locksmith convenient to you, you might call them to see if they have an old-stock replacement bolt (back in the day when parts were expensive and labor was cheap) and ask about the D configuration. If it happens to be as desired, then you've got to take your lock to them and see if the holes all line up. I'd give it a 50/50 chance that the alignment will be good enough for smooth operation, though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: