How to reinstall retaining clip for door knob cover

Old 06-16-24, 09:49 AM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to reinstall retaining clip for door knob cover

I have a standard door knob, and the cover is held by a retaining clip. The clip somehow fell out of place. So now when I grab the door knob to open door, the knob cover comes off. I tried to put the retaining clip back in place with a pair of tweezers without any success.

Pic of retaining clip: https://pasteboard.co/qApbCgcxtuLW.jpg

Pic of door knob cover: https://pasteboard.co/YOfunOR0dSup.jpg

Any suggestion?

Last edited by PJmax; 06-16-24 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added pics from links
Old 06-16-24, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,139 Upvotes on 3,717 Posts
Is that a passage knob..... no push button or lock in knob ?
I don't recognize that clip.

Old 06-16-24, 06:14 PM
T
Received 213 Upvotes on 187 Posts
[size=20px]The clip goes in side the "tube" the knob slides onto. "Button" toward the edge of the door and projects through the hole in the "tube".[/size]

[size=20px]Not easy to do, but it is possible. Recommend 2 flat screwdrivers as opposed to tweezers. [/size]

Old 06-17-24, 06:36 AM
R
Received 48 Upvotes on 45 Posts
Ditto ThisOldMan; I use my fingers to get it started, then small screwdriver or similar to snap it into place. (There may be a reason it "fell out" on it's own...there may not have been enough tension to keep it in place. You may need to spread it out a bit more to increase the tension. If it keeps happening, it's wearing out,) The lock appears to be a Schlage "A" series, (or a clone), a normally fairly robust lock, but on a high-traffic solid-core door with tight weather-stripping, parts of the lock can wear out prematurely.

@PJ: A few decades ago, they changed from a wire spring retainer to this flat spring thingy, presumably to save a few pennies. If it was poked too hard when removing the knob, it could loose some of it's tension.

PJmax voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: