Garage doors

Old 10-12-01, 03:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

The home we are planning on buying doesn't have a lock on the main garage door that slides up to drive in the car. From the garage, to the basement, there is a door, that doesn't have a lock either. We feel this is unsafe. Is it enough to put a lock on the sliding garage door, or should we install some sort of lock on the interior door as well? The interior door is wood. Should this be replaced with a sturdier door?
Thanks for your help,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-01, 10:59 PM
Visiting Guest
I am being trained to be a locksmith and I have heard many stories like yours. I would definately put a lock on both doors. As for replacing the door, I wouldn't bother unless you plan on storing valuables in the basement. Just make sure you get decent locks and they should provide many years of security and peace of mind.

Old 10-17-01, 04:15 AM
I agree with reewinder. One other thought on your door to the basement. If fire safety concerns you, it would be a good idea to replace this door with a fire rated door, which will also be sturdier, and also make sure that you have drywall on the wall between the house and garage.