one way security screws


Old 10-19-01, 05:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I have a dead bolt lock, installed on the exterior of an iron gate, fastened by the kind of screw that, once screwed in, can't be unscrewed out.

In remote area where I live, there are no locksmiths, nor places to rent special tools like torches or air chisels.

I want to remove this lock, without damaging the gate.
I have hand tools and some power tools.

Suggestions please.

Larry Shane
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-01, 10:41 AM
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 674
A few options:
If these are the type with a hump in the middle, you can file the middle out of a standard screwdriver so the hump will not force it off the screw when backing it out.

Will a visegrips be able to clamp on the head and turn it out?

Center punch the screw and drill the heads off.
Old 11-09-01, 12:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thank you for your help. Center punching and drilling off screw head worked.
Old 11-12-01, 02:25 AM
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 674
Glad I could help. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.
Old 11-18-01, 02:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
can you explain what you mean by center-punching and drilling the screw head off?

i have some one-way screws anchoring a grating to a window, and i've tried screw extractors and drilling into the screw

i can't seem to do anything other than scratch the paint, even though i'm using a non-cordless drill with a fair amount of power.

any suggestions?
Old 11-19-01, 02:50 AM
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 674
By using a center punch, you are putting a dimple in the screw head that will help you get the drill bit started. (You hit the punch with a hammer) By using a big enough drill bit you can take the head off and when the grate or whatever is removed there is usually enough of the screw left to turn out with a vise grips, if you want to reuse the holes.
You also may have hardened screw which makes it tougher, assuming you used sharp drill bits the first time, try a cobalt bit which is used for harder metals.
Old 12-05-05, 03:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
oneway security BOLT on window gate lock

I have two rusted security bolts 3/16? (no nuts - screw into iron gate) on a Yale deadbolt on an iron window gate.

Very little head [1/8th in and rusty}appears above the surface and vice grips didnt work.

The key no is not stamped on the lock

The head is designed so that two quadrants are raised, so it is easy to screw in but difficult to screw out.

What are the tools used to take these out?

Lowes had similar screws which had more above the surface but they didn't know of any tool to remove them.

Is there a tool that I can put in the lock that will give me the key shape/no?

Old 12-06-05, 07:43 AM
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 674
There is tool made for this. Here is a link you can cut and paste describing it:

Your other options are drilling the screws out.

Nothing you can insert to get the lock combo except get a locksmith to impression the lock, which often is not worth the time/trouble.
Old 12-22-05, 02:31 PM
WGW is offline
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ontario
Posts: 313
A method I've used to remove "security" screws is cut a slot in the head of the screw with a dremel type of tool, then a slot screw driver will turn it out.


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes