Making Old French Doors More Secure

Old 02-19-02, 09:18 PM
grneyedtxn
Visiting Guest
Question Making Old French Doors More Secure

My husband and I are installing some old french doors (one is stationery) that came out of a very old house. I am wondering if there is anything we can add to make it more secure? It had both double deadbolt and knob lock, which we have replaced with new. Both doors also have pins that slide up into the ceiling and into the floor. I am only concerned since the doors are wood. Should we use galvanized screws when attaching the hinges to the 2x4 or are long wood screws okay? Any advise would be appreciated.

Old 02-20-02, 01:40 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I an not sure what you are getting at with "galvanized screws". Galvanized screws should be used when exposed to weather for their rust resistance. Many types of screws are galvanized. It is always a good idea to put at least a couple long screws on each hinge into the framing.
You could put a latch guard or astragal on the door which protects the lock bolts. An astragal would be a plate that would cover the gap between the doors from top the bottom.
Some companies make locking bolts. This keeps someone from breaking a pane of glass and opening the bolts on your inactive door. You would probably have to order locking bolts (your pins) from a locksmith although I occasionaly see them at the large home stores. This would only apply to surface mounted bolts. You would not need these for bolts that are mortised in and open with a tab on the edge of the door. Unless you are concerned about the strength of the existing ones.
Do not overlook the strike plates for the locks and the bolts. Long screws are a good idea for these whenever possible. Wood doors can also be reinforced around the locks with a layer of metal that wraps around the door and has holes for the lock but it does not look the greatest and is used where security is the primary concern; it sounds like you salvaged some nice old doors.
Hope some of this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: