Deadbolt hole opening.

Old 04-29-02, 06:37 AM
Andamo
Visiting Guest
Deadbolt hole opening.

I recently purchased 3 sets of Baldwin door knob assemblies and deadbolts. My problem
is with the hole size for the deadbolts. The opening for the deadbolts in the STEEL doors
is 1.750 inches. The back of the deadbolt assembly is 2 inches. I need to increase the size
of the opening to 2.125 so the deadbolt will fit flush against the doors. I am going to
make a template to keep the alignment correct but I am at a loss as to how to increase
the actual opening. Anyone have any suggestions ? Don't forget, this is a steel door.
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-02, 12:06 PM
joelp
Visiting Guest
Hi, Having been an employee for Baldwin for more years than I would like to admit, I am very familiar with their products. Are you sure that the hole in the steel door is 1.75" I think the 2 sizes that are standard are 1.5" and 2 1/8". The Baldwin deadbolt has a mounting plate that can be put in one of two ways. In one position it is designed for a 1.5" and other way is for 2 1/8". Confirm your dimensions.

If you are truely set at 1.75" you will need to make a jig to center your hole saw in the the center of the hole and take out the necessary 3/8" of material. best bet is to clamp a piece of wood on the side your are working and drill each side separately.

This can also be achieved with a lock installation jig.

You may also want to check your cross bores, as the hole for the bolt has to be 1" and some Schlage product is 1 7/8ths.

Good Luck.

Old 04-30-02, 04:53 AM
Andamo
Visiting Guest
Follow up

joelp,
Thanks for the quick reply. The model number of the deadbolt I am using is 8231-003.
In measuring the back of the mounting plate, the "step" OD is 2". You are correct in the
measurement of the existing opening, it is 1.50" My concern in boring the holes is to keep
amount I remove equal so I don't lose the alignment from front to back without having
any type of centering device. I need to remove 5/16" equally around the opening.
Again, thanks for the info.

Old 04-30-02, 06:46 AM
Somewhere in the archives of my mind, I remember reading somewhere a method to do this. It employs 2 hole saws on the same mandrel. You mount the desired size hole saw onthe mandrel and then mount the current size on the mandrel and tighten up the whole thing. The current size mandrel is supposed to act as a pilot and then the larger one makes the bigger hole. Never have tried id, but it seems to make sense.

Old 04-30-02, 06:58 AM
joelp
Visiting Guest
If the opening is truely 1.5" I believe you will have not problem mounting the product as it is. The mounting plates are designed for both dimensions. Simply turn it over so the concave portion of the mounting plate inserts in the 1.5" opening. Otherwise, you will need to borrow a 2 1/8 boring jig that will center the hole saw and clamp on the wood to give you a guide for your centering drill.

Hope this helps.

J

Old 04-30-02, 12:01 PM
Andamo
Visiting Guest
Deadbolt

joelp,
Turning the mounting plate isn't a option. The opening is counterbored so the actual
locking mechanism sets in this counterbore. Also, the other side, which fits against the
door, doesn't have the polished finish. Wish I could show you what I mean. It looks like
what I need is a 1.50" round solid rod with a hole in the center of it so I can use it as a guide to bore the opening
larger. Again, thanks for the help.

Old 05-01-02, 04:09 AM
joelp
Visiting Guest
You may want to consider returning what you have and getting a 8031 instead of the 8231. This is designed for the 1.5" opening you have on the door. Just a thought.

You are right about the 8231. Since I haven't been involved with Baldwin product in about three years I have gotten just a bit fuzzy. The 8200 was designed specifically for a 2 1/8 bore. The 8000 series works with 1.5". Both were redesigned when Baldwin dropped the projection off the door.

This is good deadbolt, but there are better out there. The tail system on the double cylinder is a pain to work with. Tolerances are pretty high leaving no room for error in the installation process. Be sure you drill your hole level and true.

Good luck.