break into your house??

Old 05-30-02, 04:36 PM
goaldie
Visiting Guest
break into your house??

can someone get an imprint of your lock from the outside and make a key???And can they somehow pick your deadbolt and knob lock without you knowing it/??

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-04, 09:37 AM
hakker
Visiting Guest
yes, the method of imprinting a lock is known as impressioning. And yes, someone could pick a deadbolt and knoblock without you knowing it. Picking a lock is basically for that reason, so other dont know. If they didnt care about someone knowing then they would just use a sledgehammer or something.

If your worried about someone trying to break into your house with a duplicated key from impressioning, dont be. A burglar is not going to take the time to actually impression a key and have a key made (unless maybe your very rich, and the burglar knows you've got very valuable items). Its time consuming and it requires good skill to be able to impression.

Old 08-07-04, 05:50 PM
WGW
hakker is right as far as light and medium duty locksets go, however, there are high security locksets available that can not be defeated as you describe.

Regards

Old 10-01-04, 08:25 PM
mkemila
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by WGW
hakker is right as far as light and medium duty locksets go, however, there are high security locksets available that can not be defeated as you describe.

Regards

For every new lock there are two ways to pick it. Complacency defeats all security!!.........sorry, not trying to lecture

Old 10-15-04, 10:44 PM
Group Moderator
Security is a relative thing. No matter what you do to make your home burglar resistant, someone can always get in if they really want to. What you do is make your house difficult enough that they don't want to take the time or so your neighbor's house looks like an easier target.

Old 10-16-04, 11:44 AM
hakker
Visiting Guest
lol J.M.C. what website did u read that from? I've seen that little message on like a hundred diff. websites

Old 10-16-04, 11:48 AM
Any locksmith will tell you that if someone wants into your home, they can get in. All a lock does is keep honest people out. A security system may be a good investment if you are concerned about security.

Old 10-16-04, 07:00 PM
WGW
Quite right twelvepole.
One can put a brick through a window to gain access to most homes.

And most Locksmiths will also tell you that a "security system" will assure the thief that once the alarm sounds, he has approximately 10 minutes to rifle through a home and be on his way.
That appears to be the average response time for authorities to arrive.

Old 10-25-04, 06:00 AM
Jason Lorette
Visiting Guest
I have locks...gonna eventually have an a monitored alarm...but I also have a back-up...

An 90lb full grown male German Shepherd!

He's black and you can hardly see him at night...and he protects his own territory...I wouldn't want someone to break into "his" house while we were out...cause' I wouldn't want to clean up the mess when I got home :P

JL

Old 10-25-04, 01:19 PM
At least you will have the satisfaction of the dog doing a good job. This happened to my aunt.They returned home in the evening and found some blood on the floor, overturned kitchen chairs and their big black lab but no crook.

Old 10-25-04, 01:26 PM
Jason Lorette
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by schiejr
At least you will have the satisfaction of the dog doing a good job. This happened to my aunt.They returned home in the evening and found some blood on the floor, overturned kitchen chairs and their big black lab but no crook.
Hey...but at least their stuff was still there!

Jason

Old 10-25-04, 02:16 PM
hakker
Visiting Guest
Lol, have you heard of the law that says that if a burglar gets injured while on your property, he can sue you?
I'm not sure if the law is in every state, or if it's even enforced, but i have heard some arguements about it on Television.

Old 10-27-04, 06:10 PM
I would not be surprised with all the crazy stuff going on in the courts today. I suppose the dog would be a co-defendant on the lawsuit?

Old 01-27-05, 10:43 AM
That brings to mind the 2 burglers that were crawling around the roof of a school when they fell through the skylight and crashed to the ground. One was paralized as a result, he sued the school district and won. It makes me sick, but I'd pay a fine to know my dog was earning all that money I spend on food. :mask:

Old 01-27-05, 11:10 AM
The idiocy of the courts in these kind of cases scares me silly. .