Underground rainwater drainage

Old 07-25-02, 08:05 AM
magicman
Visiting Guest
Question Underground rainwater drainage

I need to bury some corrugated tubing to take rainwater away from the house. This tubing must run under a sidewalk. The yard is flat, so the trench will need to get deeper as it goes. I will not run it all the way to the street. What do I need to do for a drain field at the end of the run? Will I need a drain tube to allow air into the field?

Old 07-25-02, 08:15 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I prefer to use a stiffer material, PVC or ABS pipe, I see the corrigated stuff buckle and crush in over time from weight. Most people will bury a box-o-rocks, crushed pea gravel in 2x2x2 or 4x4x4 depending on the volume of water you are expecting. Your don't need to vent it. Be sure to get it far away from your foundation!

Old 07-26-02, 06:51 AM
magicman
Visiting Guest
The outlet for this line will not reach the ground surface. It will remain underground. Don't I need to have it run into some sort of prepared drainage field? I assumed I would need to put in a small gravel pit with a vent as well as screening the end of the line to prevent animals from getting in. It seems wrong to simply end the line and fill the trench.

Old 07-28-02, 10:21 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
you are in essence making a drainfield with the gravel pit. The portion of the pipe that lays in the gravel should be perforated and can be wrapped with nylon mesh to keep gravel and dirt from clogging the holes. I have never seen anyone vent a drain of this nature. It is not necessary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: